Author Topic: William Authurs and Mary Dunn  (Read 3282 times)

Offline frizbme

• RootsChat Extra
  • One World One Family Putting the puzzle together
    • View Profile
William Authurs and Mary Dunn
« on: Monday 07 August 06 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone  ;D I am new to this forum and have recently been interested in my family history. I was wondering if anyone can help with any information reguarding a William Authurs married to a Mary Dunn. They had a daughter in Dundee around 1864 named Susan Authurs. I can't find any information about their parents, or other siblings. Any information would be appreciated....

Fraser
Brown
Whittet
Ross
Authurs
Elder
Jewell
Young
Sivewright
McPheat

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William Authurs and Mary Dunn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 August 06 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Fraser

Welcome to RootsChat!

How sure are you of Susan's parents names. There are only 4 birth entries between 1855-1870 showing in Scotland (Scotlands People site) for a Susan A*thur*. There is one entry in Dundee, from IGI, but parents don't match:

SUSAN ANN ARTHUR  Birth:  11 FEB 1859  Dundee, Angus, Scotland
Parents: Father:  CHARLES ARTHUR  Mother: SUSAN WHITECROSS    

The other 3 entries are shown below, none of them show William and Mary Dunn as parents:

1. SUSAN ARTHUR  Birth: 14 JAN 1862 Airth, Stirling, Scotland
2. SUSAN WILSON ARTHUR Birth: 17 FEB 1868 Dundonald, Ayr, Scotland
3. SUSANAH ARTHUR Birth: 15 OCT 1870 Haddington, East Lothian, Scotland 

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frizbme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, thanks for the welcome and your help !  :)

I have a marrige registry entry from Scotlandspeople of my g grand mother and g grand father. Their names are Alexander Gardener Ross and Susan Authurs. They were married in Dundee on Dec. 31, 1890. It shows Susans parents as William Authurs and Mary Dunn. I've not been able to find any information of either of these two. The name Authurs isn't a common name and I am begginning to think maybe they aren't from Scotland? Should I try England or Ireland ?
Thanks again Monica ...

Fraser  :)
Brown
Whittet
Ross
Authurs
Elder
Jewell
Young
Sivewright
McPheat

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you search for your couple on the 1891 Scottish census found at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk in St. Clement district of Dundee City Angus not only will you find the birth of a son but also the Country to start searching for the birth of Susan in!  :)

Best wishes
Jean

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 13:40 BST (UK) »
Fraser

Jean's advice to search the 1891 census to verify Susan's birth place is good. . I've double checked the IGI using just the batch code for Dundee, C112821 (which gives more flexibility on the search parameters) and nothing.

I have also looked at the 1881 Census and there are two possibilities:

1. There is a Susan Arthur, age 13, b. England, showing as neice to David and Sarah Bissett in Arthurstone Mains, Coupar Angus, Angus.

2. There is one more entry for a Susan McArthur, age 18, b. Dundee living with her father William McArthur, widower, Coffee House Keeper also born in Dundee. Living with them are children Ellen, age 16, and Alexander, age 13. Address is Waverley Buildings, Liff and Benvie, Angus. This is the only entry for a Susan A*thur* born in Dundee, which also picked up on the Mc spelling on the 1881 census.

This is the IGI entry for that Susan's birth, as you can see, the mother's details don't match:

SUSAN MC ARTHUR  Birth: 14 OCT 1861  Dundee, Angus, Scotland
Parents: Father: WILLIAM MC ARTHUR  Mother: MARGARET RAMSAY

My final check was for the death of a Mary Dunn other name (M*c)A*thur* anytime between 1855-1950. There are only two and both have wrong birth years (1855 and 1894).

A bit of a puzzle this one! Hopefully the marriage cert in 1890 might give more clues (were her parents showing as deceased for example, occupation of Susan's father, names of witnesses). Also the birthplace showing on the 1891 census. Finally, I would look at the name and order of names for Susan and Alexander's children to see whether they following Scottish naming patterns.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frizbme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, thanks again for all your searching  :)

William Authurs was a farm Servant as listed on the marrige entry of his daughter Susan, and at the time of Her wedding in December 31 of 1890 he is listed as deceased.  This is why He won't show up on a 1891 census. When I search the 1881, 1871, 1861, census still nothing showes up. Not even one entry? I know that Susan was born in 1864 and she doesn't show up in any of these census searches as well. Today I also searched for Mary Authurs, MS Dunn and with no luck.... The names listed as witness on their side of the family, are a Betsy Lawson, and William Irvine. Two names that I don't find in my family anywhere? Thanks again Monica and I'll keep seraching ....

Fraser
Brown
Whittet
Ross
Authurs
Elder
Jewell
Young
Sivewright
McPheat