Author Topic: Looking for info on Richard and Mary Brotherton  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Drrig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for info on Richard and Mary Brotherton
« on: Tuesday 08 August 06 05:22 BST (UK) »
1. SAMUEL SIMKIN, was born 1805 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England. He married (1) DOMESTIC SARAH BROTHERTON 30 Apr 1832 in Warrington, Lancashire, England, daughter of Richard Brotherton and Mary She was born 29 Sept 1811 in Warrington, Lancashire, England. Children of SAMUEL SIMKIN and SARAH BROTHERTON are: i. LOUISA SIMKIN, b. 1832, Warrington, Lancashire, England. 2. ii. PRISCILLA SIMKIN, b. 1836, Leeds, Yorkshire, England. iii. RICHARD SIMKIN, b. 1838, Leeds, Yorkshire, England. iv. FRANCES SIMKIN, b. 1841, Runcorn, Cheshire, England. v. DAVID SIMKIN, b. 1844, Runcorn, Cheshire, England. vi. ELIZABETH SIMKIN, b. 1848, Runcorn, Cheshire, England. vii. JESSE SIMKIN, b. 1850, Hulme, Lancashire, England; d. 1927; m. MARY I. MUIR, 24 Dec 1883, Fall River, Bristol, MA; b. 05 Sep 1854, Fall River, Bristol, MA.

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Richard and Mary Brotherton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 August 06 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hello there.

I cannot help with the specific question that you ask but I can tell you that Samuel and Sarah Simpkin had another child called Mary Ellen who was born c1854 in Oldham, Lancashire.

Mary Ellen Simpkin married James Dearden in Rochdale in 1878. He was the eldest brother of my wife’s grandfather.

I hope that this additional information is of interest and use to you.

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Drrig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 06 03:23 BST (UK) »
Fantastic! Up until now I was unable to verify that Mary Ellen even existed as part of my family.  Her name was included in this generation of Simkin and she was said to have married a James Deardon which fits in quite nicely to the timeline and the area. I can't thank you enough for this info!

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 August 06 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

Glad to have been of some help to you.

Mary Ellen appears with the Simpkin family on the 1861 and the 1871 censuses as Mary E Simpkin. She is also on the 1881 census as Mary Ellen Dearden, with her husband and two children. I have access to her marriage certificate which shows her father as Samuel, occupation Mechanic.

If you would like further information, please send me a personal message (click on the little green scroll symbol to the left, underneath the picture) and let me have an email address that I can send it to.

I also have indirect contact with a descendant of Elizabeth Simpkin and George Hill Collier if you are interested. George was one of the witnesses at Mary Ellen’s wedding.

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk