Author Topic: Married in 1853 - but at least 3 children born by then  (Read 608 times)

Offline shelleyf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Married in 1853 - but at least 3 children born by then
« on: Tuesday 08 August 06 05:49 BST (UK) »
My 3rd great grandparents (Elizabeth SHORT and John BAINBRIDGE) married in 1853 (I have a copy of the certificate).  But Elisabeth is named Elizabeth Bainbridge in 1851 in Newcastle (and supposedly married), and John is living with his mother and stepfather (Isabella and William Watson) in Seaton Delaval but supposedly unmarried. 

Now, to the next mystery.  Elizabeth Jessie Bainbridge (my 2nd great grandmother) was born about 1847 and is with Elizabeth (her mother) in Newcastle in 1851 (as 4 year old Jessie – a name she often goes by).  Is John Bainbridge her father?  When Elizabeth Short dies in 1901 in Australia, her children are listed on her death certificate (in order of ages) as Jessie, James (dead), Harry, Thomas (dead), Isabella, Martha, George and Mary (these latter two born in Aus.)  James and Thomas are deceased before the family leave for Australia in 1863 as they aren’t on the shipping list.  In 1861 Henry is 10, Isabella 5, and Martha is 3.  It would appear that Elizabeth had at least 2 more children before she married John!

Any ideas from anyone as to an explanation for all this?  Any ideas on where I go from here gratefully appreciated.

Is anyone able to do a lookup for birth of Elizabeth Jessie BAINBRIDGE in about 1847?

Shelley

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Married in 1853 - but at least 3 children born by then
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelley,

People pretending to be married when they aren't - many of us come across such things... Elizabeth won't have wanted to tell the enumerator that she wasn't married, when she had a daughter living with her. Perhaps Elizabeth and John were even actually living together, but he was staying at his parents on census night?

In theory, Elizabeth Jessie should have been registered as a Short, but who knows?
The complete birth indexes are free to search here:
http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=8964&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0

If the children are down in order of age, then I suppose Thomas would have been born between Harry/Henry and Isabella.

Tanja  :)

PS I now see the 1851 census. As she was visiting somewhere, it's probably Mary Healey or Mr Clavering who would have completed the census sheet. They could have just imagined Elizabeth was married when she was not...
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shelleyf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Married in 1853 - but at least 3 children born by then
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 08:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts on that, Tanja.
Yes, I suppose you are probably right.  I was just wondering why they had about 3 children before they decided to get married!

Yes, the children are in order of age on the death certificate.

In 1861 Elizabeth and family are with John's brother, Ralph Bainbridge, and family.  Ralph's wife was Elizabeth's sister.  John is nowhere to be found in 1861 - probably on his way to Australia (or already here).  I haven't found when he arrived.  Elizabeth and children came ny themselves in 1863.

Thanks again for your input.

Shelley