Author Topic: Montagu in Bridge nr. Canterbury  (Read 5314 times)

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Montagu in Bridge nr. Canterbury
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 15:14 GMT (UK) »

Henry Grahame MOntagu - b.1839 Bridge

Wonder if anyone could lookup any of the following parishes to find above.

Adisham,Barham,Bekesbourne,Bishopsbourne,Bridge,Chartham,Fordwich,Harbledown,Ickham & Well. Kingston,Littlebourne,Lower Hardres, Mint, Nackington,Patrixbourne,Petham,St Nicholas Hospital,Stodmarsh,Thansington Within 1837-1910,Thanington without Upper Hardres,Waltham, Westgate without 1837 -1910, Wickhambreaux, Womenswold.

Sorry this does seem a lot but I am informed that these are the parishes around Bridge.

Look forward to hearing from you
Many thanks
Helenna

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Helenna

You can check out Barham baptisms on the web http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,87443.0.html

I see, from another post, that extensive research has already been done in looking for his origins so I wonder if you know which, if any, of the above parishes has already been searched for his baptism?

Do keep us informed if you manage to get any others checked :)

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 14:11 BST (UK) »
hi,

Thanks for this information. So impressed. AS far as I know none of these parishes have been searched for batpisms, so will have a look. I know that the ordinary birth records were searched last year by a friend, without success. I thought that maybe the Parish records might have the answer.

Once again many thanks.

Helenna

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bastardy Records
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 August 06 15:17 BST (UK) »
Has anyone access to the Bastardy Records for Bridge, Canterbury 1839 approx.?????????

Or can anyone tell me how I can gain access to these records.?

I have been searching for Henry Grahame Montagu b. 1839,  Bridge Kent,( according to 1901 census.) for such a long time without success.  Have been unable to find any record of birth.and wondered if he were illegitimate?

Dont  know much about this subject and would welcome any help.

Thanks
Helenna

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy Records
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 August 06 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Helenna

It would be helpful if you put your location in your profile - it makes it easier to tailor advice to your needs.   ;)

I can't see any Montagu births registered in the Bridge district from July 1837 to December 1839 - I didn't look any further.  Of course, it was not compulsory to register births in the early days of Civil Registration, so many people did not bother - they probably couldn't afford the fee!

The Bastardy Records may have survived, but the parish register would probably record the fact if he was born out of wedlock!

It might be worth looking at his marriage certificate, if he married, although the presence of a father's name on this does not guarantee that he existed!!  I have at least one example of an invented father on a marriage certificate where the party did not know who their father was.

You should be able to get his death certificate, which ought to have his date and place of birth on it, but again, the information would be given by someone who might not be sure of the details!

The registers for the parish of Bridge are kept at Canterbury Cathedral Archives but if you are unable to visit you would probably be able to order a copy on film at your local LDS centre.  You would probably have to get someone local to look for the Bastardy Records.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 August 06 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
Bastardy bonds were kept in the parish chest and a lot have not survived.  Where they have they are fasinating - claiming maintenance from the father just as they do today.   The local archives office will be able to tell you if they have any from the appropriate parish.
Have you looked for earlier census records?  The 1841 might show him with parents and so might 1851.   Looking at the naming pattern for his children may help too. 
 He is likely to have died before place and date of birth was put on death certificates.   Where is he in 1901?   I am sure someone will be able to find him in an earlier census for you.  His age could easily be a few years out.
You can get the LDS films of the local parishes to search as Bill says and I agree that the marriage certificate is a good way forward.
Andrea

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 August 06 16:38 BST (UK) »
A quick check shows that he moved from Kent to Somerset, where he appears in the census for '61, '71 and '91.  He was married at Bath in Dec qtr of 1861.

In 1881 he was living at 3 Victoria Place, Walcot, Somerset, working as a Sanitary & General Inspector (Municipal), aged 42, with wife Louisa (born Bath) and 7 children.  This would give an approximate date of birth between April 1838 and April 1839

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 August 06 16:51 BST (UK) »
They did have lots of children too - at least 9!   You can check the 1881 census free on either ancestry or www.familysearch.org.   If their eldest child was also Henry Grahame then he probably married either Gerturde Fortt or Elizabeth Speed in Axbridge in 1891.   Unless Henry remarried himself as he is widowed in the 1891 census.   Lots to work on here anyway.   The marriage reference in 1861 is Oct-Dec Bath 5c 1259.   Unfortunately it does not give a possible Louisa as a bride but it is highly likely to be right as it is such an unusual name.
No sign of him in either 1851 or 1841 which is very annoying!
Andrea

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 August 06 20:11 BST (UK) »
More correspondence on this subject here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,106477.0/topicseen.html

Maybe you could reply to these threads, Helenna - makes it easier to judge whether they are helpful or not.

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)