Author Topic: William Authurs and Mary Authurs M.S.Dunn  (Read 1262 times)

Offline frizbme

• RootsChat Extra
  • One World One Family Putting the puzzle together
    • View Profile
William Authurs and Mary Authurs M.S.Dunn
« on: Wednesday 09 August 06 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hello all  :) 
    I was wondering if anyone could help with a look up of a William Authurs who married a Mary Dunn. They had a daughter named Susan Authurs born 1864 and she married in Dundee, Scotland  December 31 1890.  I think William and Mary could have been born and married around Tiverton or Somerset? Any informarion, census, birth marrige etc. would be greatly appreciated. Hoping something turns up .....

Fraser
Brown
Whittet
Ross
Authurs
Elder
Jewell
Young
Sivewright
McPheat

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Authurs and Mary Authurs M.S.Dunn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 August 06 00:09 BST (UK) »
You don't say where Susan was born 

Have you checked the 1881 census which is free to search at www.familysearch.org

Re: their marriage

You can now search the full GRO index yourself free of charge at
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx  Choose “Complete BMD Index Ranges & Images 1837-1983
The partial index (freebmd) can also be searched on the same website or at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Copy certificates can be obtained online at www.gro.gov.uk

I found this family on the 1861 census but can't find them in 1871

William Authers 28 b Stoodley farm labourer
Mary 25 b Bampton
Thomas John 1 b Washfield

Address was Middle Hill Washfield Devon
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline frizbme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 August 06 06:16 BST (UK) »
Hello there , thank you for your helpful links. I just started to search using some of them. I haven't found any more info as of yet , but will keep trying. I found out that Susan was born in England according to an 1891 Scotland census. It lists...

Alexander Ross place of birth Scotland
Mary Ross M.S. Authurs  place of Birth England
Samuel a son 1 year old and I suspect He is from another marrige

Alexander Ross was a widdower according to the marrige registry
I can't find a birth entry for Samuel as of yet.

Thanks again for the great links and any information you have ...

Fraser
Brown
Whittet
Ross
Authurs
Elder
Jewell
Young
Sivewright
McPheat

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 August 06 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Re: the 1891 entry - where is Susan as you only show Mary?

Mary Ross nee Authurs - how old was she in 1891?  If Susan was b c 1864 we assume her mother Mary was born c1844 or earlier so was Samuel her son or her grandson?  Is Samuel shown as Ross or another surname.

I don't know the Scottish censuses but assume that any relationship shown is to the head of the household.  What was Mary's relationship to Alexander Ross

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline frizbme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 August 06 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,
     I"m sorry , I made a mistake.  I meant to say a Susan Ross, M.S. Authurs was married to Alexander Gardener Ross,  December 31,1890 in Dundee. , Mary came into the picture as She is Susan's mother so Her name is Mary Authurs M.S. Dunn. Both of the women have ties to England as Susan Authurs was born in England and I suspect I'll find out soon that Mary Authurs, m.s. Dunn was born there as well.
     William Authurs her Husband is extremely elusive and I think He was born, married and died in England?  According to a marrige registry I have of Alexander Gardener Ross and Susan Authurs in Dundee, Scotland, it shows Susan's mother as alive but Her father William as deceased.  Sorry again for the mix up with names. Any info you can help find is greatly appreciated, bye for now ...
Fraser Brown
Brown
Whittet
Ross
Authurs
Elder
Jewell
Young
Sivewright
McPheat

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 August 06 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Fraser

As Susan was b 1864, it may be a good starting point to look for her birth on the GRO index.  This will at least give you her birthplace.  I have checked the full GRO index from 1863-1865 and there is no birth listed for Susan Authurs or Authers so you need to check either side of those years

You can now search the full GRO index yourself free of charge at
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx  Choose “Complete BMD Index Ranges & Images 1837-1983
The partial index (freebmd) can also be searched on the same website or at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Copy certificates can be obtained online at www.gro.gov.uk