Author Topic: could someone tell me these two words.  (Read 4075 times)

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
could someone tell me these two words.
« on: Wednesday 09 August 06 13:37 BST (UK) »
William Laing was a vet in Elgin, when he died in 1924,I have a hand written copy of his Obituary, but cannot make out two of the words, it says he was a  ??? an ????? testing and his services were called upon in England and Scotland,   can anyone help, thankyou from Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: could someone tell me these two words.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think the first word is ''authority'

No idea on the 2nd one  :-\

Tanja  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 13:44 BST (UK) »
was he an authority on Tuberculosis Testing?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much, That has been a great help,
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.

bervonian

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 14:01 BST (UK) »
Could it be Tuberculin Testing ?  The definition of this is "a preparation from a culture of tubercule bacillus used in the diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis".  A tuberculin test is also known as the Mantoux test which determines whether a person (or animal ?) has developed any immunity to tuberculosis.  Some tuberculin is injected below the skin and the appearance of inflammation during the next 24 hours indicates a certain degree of immunity.  Also called "tuberculin test".

Bervonian.

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 14:08 BST (UK) »
Bervonia , that will go down in my notes about him, thankyou so much. from Eilleen.

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 August 06 13:22 BST (UK) »
Eilleen

Have you had a look at the Moray Heritage Centre site at  http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp for anything on this William Laing. I have had a brief look and found a Vetenary Surgeon who died in 1924 under the reference number NM091802. There is quite a bit of Miscellaneous records on him which might prove of interest to you. You can contact MHC and they will send you copies of any of these records -most of which are newspaper reports.

I have found this site of great help when looking for relatives in the Morayshire area.

Good Hunting

Bill
Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 August 06 20:04 BST (UK) »
Bill, thankyou for your note, yes the moray site is fantastic, William Laing the vet, was my son's Great, Greatdaddy, I only found the site a couple of weeks ago, and was wondering how to get hold of the newspapers that they mention.   From Eilleen.

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 August 06 21:10 BST (UK) »
Eilleen

Go to the site and open the tab 'Advice/Help' there you will find the first box is 'E-mail a Query'. The people there are very helpful tho, as there is only 2 of them, an answer might take some time - include your snail-mail address tho. Failing that, and if you can wait, I will be going up there in October so could get copies and scan them to you, or I have a contact there who might get them a bit faster.

Happy Huntng

Bill
Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)