Author Topic: Cummins, c.1809, little info  (Read 3819 times)

Offline upallnite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Cummins, c.1809, little info
« on: Thursday 10 August 06 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, sorry this is vague. Any help or advice on locating this person would be greatly appreciated.
Thomas Cummins born circa 1809 Isle of Man
On the 1881 census his occupation is given as 'Former Mariner'. His wife Martha, also from the Isle of Man, is the same age.
Their son Thomas Hugh Cummins was born in Liverpool in 1843.
I have found a few references to various Cummins on websites that have been recommended here (IOM notebook and the like), but nothing that completely matches my Thomas. Anybody got any ideas?
Best wishes,
Kirsty
Barrie (Lanarkshire)
Briton/Britton (Lanarkshire)
Clark (Lanarkshire)
Cummins (Lancashire, Isle of Man)
Davies (St Asaph Wales)
Dyer (Lanarkshire)
Hills (Kent)
Kean (Lanarkshire)
MacLeod (Lanarkshire)
Miscamble (Lanarkshire + any info on name)
Robertson (Lanarkshire)
Thomson (Lanarkshire)
Topley (Kent)
Wallace (Lanarkshire)
Yule (Lanarkshire)

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cummins, c.1809, little info
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 August 06 23:49 BST (UK) »
The only thing that I have found and it would give you his mothers maiden name is a birth for Thomas Hugh Cummins June quarter 1843 Liverpool vol 20 page 489 :)
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 August 06 00:00 BST (UK) »
1851 census
Thomas Cummins head 48 dock labourer b. Isle of man
Martha wife 47  b. Isle of man
Margaret daughter 18 dress maker b. Liverpool
Mary Ann daughter 13 b. Liverpool
John 12 son b. Liverpool
Thomas H son 9 b. Liverpool
living 4 Court Street Liverpool
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 August 06 00:12 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is them but fits in with birth year of children
Thomas Cummins/ Martha Kinnis May 1831 St Peter Church St Liverpool
http://www.familysearch.org

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 August 06 00:23 BST (UK) »
Kevin has left his name by Thomas Cummins 1809 Isle of man hope it's not you if not leave him a message must be in your tree! and Kevin and a Kirsty have left their name by Tomas Hugh :)

Offline upallnite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 August 06 11:04 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks Irret! I knew this place was good but I had no idea that I would get help so fast. You lot really are dedicated, aren't you?
Kevin is my cousin and we are in touch (my only find through GR so far) and I am the Kirsty mentioned. I had found Thomas for 1843 and am waiting until I move house to order the cert because I don't know how long the GRO take to deliver, but I think that must be my Thomas. Another 3 weeks until I can send off for it and I can't wait! I think I'm more excited about that than the move...
But the 1851 census and the marriage details are another clue for me, thank you. I will follow them up today if I get the chance. I knew about Mary Ann but not Margaret or John. Now I just need to find something about them on the Isle of Man. I haven't even got a parish for them yet, but I found something last night about a Thomas Cummins in Castletown who was a prisoner of the French in 1811 - hoping it might be his dad.
Oh, why does my life get in the way of my research? I want to spend the day finding out about St Peter's and Court Street!
Thanks again Irret, its so nice to know there are such helpful people about!
Best wishes and good luck with your dead rellies,
Kirsty
Barrie (Lanarkshire)
Briton/Britton (Lanarkshire)
Clark (Lanarkshire)
Cummins (Lancashire, Isle of Man)
Davies (St Asaph Wales)
Dyer (Lanarkshire)
Hills (Kent)
Kean (Lanarkshire)
MacLeod (Lanarkshire)
Miscamble (Lanarkshire + any info on name)
Robertson (Lanarkshire)
Thomson (Lanarkshire)
Topley (Kent)
Wallace (Lanarkshire)
Yule (Lanarkshire)

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 August 06 11:14 BST (UK) »
It was great fun. :)
Why not order on-line I did one yesterday will be sent out to you in a week they give a send out day before you give out your credit details try it.
www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp ;D

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 August 06 23:03 BST (UK) »
Might be worth taking a look here!
http://www.isle-of-man.com/interests/genealogy/look-up.htm
Couldn't see them in 1841 census UK worth trying 1841 Isle of Man 1841 Census
I.G.I.   
Isle of Man IGI   Donna Douglass
Isle of Man IGI   Margaret Walton
Births, Baptisms & Marriages   
Births & Baptisms, Athol Street Chapel, 1809 - 1849   Brian Lawson
Births & Baptisms, Scotch Church, 1841 - 1849   Brian Lawson

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 12:49 BST (UK) »
The Kennis might well be Kennish - if so then the Martha could be d/o John Kennish + martha Redfern (m Malew 1800-10-05) bapt malew 1803-03-17.  I have a bit about the Redferns on www.manxnotebook.com/famhist/families/redfern.htm - I can't find any further children of this couple on the Island

Cummin(g)s is an unusual name for manx born - however I have seen a couple of examples of Comish (sometimes mis read in IGI as Cornish) 'englished' as Cummin - there is a strange IGI entry  a Thomas born to a John Comish + a Cath Quggan  Arbory 1803-03-13 - the quggan is obv a misreading but whether quiggin or quaggan you would need to hope that the Parish reg is clearer - however there is no obvious marriage I can find (the name Comish has strong links to Arbory parish)

later work indicates Cath Duggan is likely reading
any thing with a Manx Connection