Author Topic: eliza BRIGGS nottingham  (Read 4351 times)

Offline patc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
eliza BRIGGS nottingham
« on: Monday 01 November 04 11:52 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace my G-Grandmother Eliza BRIGGS Born in Nottm 1850. Eliza married John Skidmore 12/5/1872 at St Mary’s Nottm, father George BRIGGS, Labourer deceased.  Eliza had a child born January 1872 in Nottingham named Henry Skidmore BRIGGS.  So should be in the Nottingham area in 1871.  I have searched the BRIGGS baptism’s in Nottm. Genealogy.com, Family search, Notts Family history soc and 51,61 and 71 census Nott’m and any other records and she is not there.  On her marriage cert and later census papers under her married name she always gave her name as Eliza and DOB as 1850 place of birth Nottm,  yet I cannot trace her.  I have also tried to find the father George with a daughter Eliza with no luck.   I am really stuck on this one and as I live in New Zealand now and this makes things more difficult
would anyone have any info which might help me????? :)thanks

Nottm- Gibbens, Jackson, Lineker, Saxton, Shaw, Sketchley, Skidmore
Kent- Durose, Fox, Gibbens, Knowler, Setterfield
Staffs- Hibbert
Derby - Skidmore, Wain
Leics - Briggs, Manchester
Lincs - Briggs
NZ    -  Manchester

Offline cherylg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: eliza BRIGGS nottingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 November 04 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have found John Skidmore and his family living in Nottingham in 1871
He are the details I can read,the writing is not very good.

Living at 169 ? in the Parish of Nottingham

John Skidmore Head age 28 Slater
Elizabeth Skidmore  Wife age 23 Lace Maker
Eliza A Skidmore Dau       age 4

Sorry I can't be of more help but I hope it helps
Regards
Cheryl

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 November 04 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Here is a possible baptism from the NFHS transcript.

Record  PLACE        DATE  BORN  CNAME              FNAME   MNAME  FSURN   MSURN  ABODE  PROF      
~~~~~~~~--------------------
476361  EVE    22/09/1850        Elizabeth Greasby  George  Ann    BRIGGS                Shoemaker  

Here is their marriage from the NFHS marriage transcript which differs by a couple of months.

Record  MSURNAME  MFIRSTNAME  FSURNAME  FFIRSTNAME  PLACE        DATE  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
267994  SKIDMORE  John        BRIGGS    Eliza       N-M    12/05/1872  

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 November 04 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl, The 169 you mention is not a house number it is the number of the schedule.
My scans must be clearer here is what i have from the 1871 census;

1817  3528  58

3 Orchard Place the rest of the details the same as Cheryl's  but Elizabeth's occupation is a Lace Clipper.

Steve.

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline patc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 November 04 09:49 GMT (UK) »
thank you very much for all of your very quick responses to my query. When I saw the John and Elizabeth on the 1871 census I thought I had found her but the daughter Eliza puzzled me as I knew my grandmother Eliza was much younger than that so i went to the free BMD to see if that Eliza had died very young and behold it came up with an Eliza Skidmore BRIGGS b June 1870 died Sept 1/4 1871. As I know she had another child before marriage  born Jan 1872 to John SKIDMORE I knew this must be John and Eliza's child. Further searches have proved that the John and Elizabeth in the 1871 census are not my John and Eliza
But I do know now that if I find Eliza Skidmore BRIGGS (under one year of age )on the 1871 census then I will have further info re Eliza and her family.
I have not completely discounted Elizabeth Greasby BRIGGS but I have looked into her family and feel it would be most unlikey.  My Eliza was known as Eliza even on her death certificate in June 1/4 1897 aged 47 in nottingham
thanks again for your help ;D
Staffs- Hibbert
Derby - Skidmore, Wain
Lincs - Briggs
NZ    -  Manchester

Offline patc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 November 04 10:24 GMT (UK) »
would anyone be kind enough  to look up on the 1871  Nottm census for Eliza Skidmore BRIGGS  she would be under 1 year old 
Staffs- Hibbert
Derby - Skidmore, Wain
Lincs - Briggs
NZ    -  Manchester

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 November 04 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Patc, Do you know or are related to Doreen who posted a query about Skidmore Briggs on the Nott's Gen mailing list yesterday ?

Steve.

Offline patc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 November 04 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I really am so very sorry I did not realise Doreen was going to put a request online  this has never happened before and will not happen again my fault entirely.  Doreen is my sister in Australia and i have been looking for Eliza for months and months  i was so thrilled  to find another family member thru this page that I rang her soooo excited  :o she told me to calm down and listen but i obviously didnt listen enough. I  truly am sorry  i did not mean to put anyone to more trouble than necessary
Patc :-[
Staffs- Hibbert
Derby - Skidmore, Wain
Lincs - Briggs
NZ    -  Manchester

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 November 04 21:52 GMT (UK) »
You have no need to apologize i was just wondering if you knew of her and if you didn't i could have put you in touch with each other.
I'm sure nobody minds people posting on more than one Website/Mailing list. In fact it's a good idea as you and your sister are getting the name out there, so the more people that see it the better chance you have of getting a result.
Please don't hesitate to post here and your sister on the Nott's Gen list.

Steve.