Author Topic: Lugwardine Churchyard  (Read 9763 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Lugwardine Churchyard
« on: Saturday 12 August 06 11:00 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help?

We believe that some of my in-laws are buried at Lugwardine - from 1908 to about the 1940s.  I have driven past and the churchyard seems to have been, shall we say, 'rearranged'.  Does anyone know whether this is the case, or is it still possible to identify gravestones?

Does anyone know whether the MIs in the churchyard have been transcribed and where I might obtain details?

I would be grateful for any information.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lugwardine Churchyard
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 06 09:05 BST (UK) »

Hereford Record Office would know if the MI's of Lugwardine wre available.

There is also a Lugwardine Historical Society who published a book on Lugwardine in the Nineteenth Century

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 06 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply EBN.

I will follow up on this information - wish me luck!  I am especially excited about the Historical Society!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 August 06 09:35 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of contact details for the Lugwardine Historical Society ???

;)

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 August 06 09:45 BST (UK) »
Lugwardine & Dist Local History Society: B Dickinson, Braemar, Lugwardine. 01432 850526.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 August 06 09:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you!  I was searching for 'historical'!  ::)

;)

Offline Stuart P Pearson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 December 12 15:25 GMT (UK) »
I just stumbled across your interest in Lugwardine and Morgan. I have some of my  people in that Churchyard, names are Henry, Sarah, Henrietta. Henry was my Gt Grandfather and Sarah my Gt Grandmother Henrietta. Henry's grave stone is missing but his wife and Daughter is there last time I looked. If of interest please do contact as we (my wife and I) have more Wills etc.

Stuart

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 December 12 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stuart

Thanks for posting!

My Lugwardine in-law ancestors are CARTERs mainly. My own MORGAN relatives are from Monmouthshire.

Do you have details of the burials in Lugwardine generally? I never did get in touch with the history society! (Must do that!!)

Kind regards, Arranroots ;)

p.s. I removed your email address, in accordance with Rootschat policy. It prevents you being spammed! :)

Offline Stuart P Pearson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 December 12 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Good to have your reply and sad that "our" Morgans were not linked. We found that the Lugwardine Churchyard, on our last visit was well looked after. I assume you know that the Churchyard around the Church is not that which is in use now? The new area is across the main road from the Church and down a footpath which runs between a housing estate.
We cannot find Henry Morgan's grave, he died 11 Jan 1891 but have found his wife Sarah Nee Roper (died 1909) who shared a grave with their Daughter Henrietta (died 1879). If you go there they are found as follows; enter the Grave yard and continue straight to the far right hand corner and there they are. There are other Morgans elsewhere and all are family.
There is no plan or layout we can find but were told that one had been drawn but it was so badly drafted it is of little use, I think nobody wanted to know or help except for a retired Church Warden who was delightful. The Herefordshire Archives is good and helpful but not much is known about Lugwardine Church.
Worth a search of the grave stones as I found all were clear of grass etc and quite easy to read.
Although these Morgans were living and dying in Hereford they came from North Wraxall Somerset.
As ever if you find more than I did please let me know.
Sorry I cannot help more. Good luck!