Author Topic: Where did you come from Mary?  (Read 3404 times)

Offline wegsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Where did you come from Mary?
« on: Saturday 12 August 06 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi .Hope some one can help .Im looking for my great,great,great,grand parents-parents.First of all g/g/g/gf was John Ridley b? married Mary Walton Born1762 Alston they were married on 7/8/1783and had 10children.all born Alston Moor. I would love to know:-
What did John Ridley do for a living .Who were his parents and family and when born???
Mary,s-,parents and family  and what church they were bmd at.I have come to the end of the road  with my search
What is there history and if there is any part of them to be seen in Alston or surrounding areas.   Waiting for a very welcome reply Wegsgirlhttp://http://
Ridley.Alston.Bollington.Essex
Wm.Smith Norfolk.
Antrobus Bollington.
Mcgovern,Australia.
Mcgovern Ireland
Maher Austrlai
Maher Ireland
Tienery  Ireland

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you come from Mary?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 August 06 17:53 BST (UK) »
Unless you are incredibly lucky and someone has a transcript of the appropriate parish records then the only way forward with this one is to search all the local parishes.  I am assuming that they are not on familysearch.   If you cannot get to the record office then you can order the films to search at your nearest LDS centre.  Start at Alston and work out.
Have you looked at the original of the register that gives all the baptisms for their children?  There are often extra details such as occupation in there.    If there are surviving documents from the parish chest there then there might be odd snippets about them.
Hearth Tax lists and voters lists might help if they had money but not so useful for ag labs.
If they are on the IGI then clicking on the film batch number and looking for all other instances of the surnames might pay dividends as many will be related.
If you can possibly visit the record office they may have other records you can look at.
Andrea

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 August 06 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi wegsgirl, there are a few Mary Walton's baptised in Alston around this time 2 in 1760, 1 in 1761, 1 in 1762 (father William) and 2 in 1764.

Good Luck with working them all out.

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 August 06 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again, there is also a submitted record on the IGI for John Ridley and Mary Walton, it has date of death for John 3 December 1832, estimated year of birth 1750.

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 August 06 22:42 BST (UK) »
Even more reason to look at the original parish records now!    Submitted records have to be treated with caution but they must have got the idea from somewhere so well worth looking into.
Andrea

Offline wegsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 August 06 23:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you sillgen and kena for your information,I did look up John Ridley 1750 at the LDS but it is locked for viewing, so
thought he was not my ancestor as they are very much in the Anglican church and many of the males were vicars. Any more suggestions most welcome  Wegsgirl
Wm.Smith Norfolk.
Antrobus Bollington.
Mcgovern,Australia.
Mcgovern Ireland
Maher Austrlai
Maher Ireland
Tienery  Ireland

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 August 06 23:53 BST (UK) »
Dear wegsgirl,

If you go to:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle

This will take you to a list of English Counties and the parishes from which records have been extracted. Choose Alton and explore all the churches and you may be able to build up a comprehensive picture of the family. I note a Walton Ridley. Possibly a grandson of your John and Mary?

This may not take you back beyond John but will round out the picture of his family life.

Beth

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline wegsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 August 06 04:14 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Beth I will explore the site you have given in your note Many thanks Wegsgirl
Wm.Smith Norfolk.
Antrobus Bollington.
Mcgovern,Australia.
Mcgovern Ireland
Maher Austrlai
Maher Ireland
Tienery  Ireland

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 August 06 08:34 BST (UK) »
I am not quite sure what you mean by locked for viewing.  If it is a submitted record then they do not usually show the submitter.  Some do but they are rare.   (I have managed to make contact with one in the past.)  It would not matter whether they were staunch Anglicans or not, if the register has been transcribed by the LDS they will be there.  LDS members put on records for all their possible ancestors, not worrying about their religion.   However if yours are vicars then you can check them in Crockfords Clerical Directory.  There are 12 Ridleys in my 1865 copy.  There is a website and other rootschatters have access to them.  If they were well educated they will also have left wills.  Have you looked for those?
Andrea