Author Topic: FLYNN, Ireland and Manchester, All dates  (Read 4371 times)

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
FLYNN, Ireland and Manchester, All dates
« on: Saturday 14 February 04 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Researching the family of my gtgtgt Grandparents William Flynn and Bridget nee Gough. William was born in Bekan, Co Mayo c.1810, moved to England around 1840, eventually settling in Manchester.
 Children - Elizabeth,b.1835, Ireland had two daughters Maria Hogg, Bridget
Catherine(Kate)b1840 m. Jonathan Smith had children, James(m Mary Ann Coleman),Sarah Elizabeth,Thomas,

Patrick b.1843 m Ann Judge had 9 children
Margaret b1846
Wiliam b.1849

Anyone searching similar please contact me
Calvert Scotland<br />Coleman Ireland, Flynn Co. Mayo.<br />Gough Ireland,O'Brien,Ireland Smith, Todd Scotland, Tovey Wales and Bedminster, Donley Ireland and Cumbria, Morrine Scotland,Grierson Scotland,Maban Scotland,Bell Scotland, McKie. Hurse from Somerset. Scotland.<br />Johnston Scotland.<br />Hope Scotland<br />Rea Scotland<br />Jardine,Elliot Scotland,Almond,Smith England, Hodges Cheshire.<br />Thompson Northern Ireland,<br />Ireland,Scotland and Wales

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Flynn Ireland and Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 March 04 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I am interested in your Irish Flynn's & also your Calvert's
I have Flynn's namely a Thomas Flynn Irish born area unknown, he died in Swansea S.Wales in 1864, he had 2 sons, James cd.1857 & Michael c.1864 both born in Swansea, His widowed wife Mary Fitzgerald (Flynn) re-married in 1867 to My G-G Grandfather Patrick Colbert he was born in Ire c.1840/1, area unknown but in all probability in the Munster areas of Ireland.

I have no Calvert's but I am still interested in such variations due to my colbert one name study (link below).

Regards Jen  :D

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 March 04 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen

As far as I know I don't have Flynns in S Wales (yet!) It's possible that your family came from the Co Cork area. I'll have a little think.

My Calverts were from Dalton /Lamington / Glencairn area all around Dumfries and Galloway. the name is very localised in that area

I looked in Mac Lysaght's More Irish Families( pardon if you've done this) and as you say Colbert is most common in South Munster

If you've got this info I'm really sorry to duplicate it
Griffiths valuation shows most numerous in Co Waterford in 1850's

If you haven't got the info from Lysaght do you want the full speel!

If I get any more Flynn clues I'll let you know

I'm doing alot of Irish research just now can we keep in touch as information comes through as I'm desparate for more Flynn info

Cheers Gill
Calvert Scotland<br />Coleman Ireland, Flynn Co. Mayo.<br />Gough Ireland,O'Brien,Ireland Smith, Todd Scotland, Tovey Wales and Bedminster, Donley Ireland and Cumbria, Morrine Scotland,Grierson Scotland,Maban Scotland,Bell Scotland, McKie. Hurse from Somerset. Scotland.<br />Johnston Scotland.<br />Hope Scotland<br />Rea Scotland<br />Jardine,Elliot Scotland,Almond,Smith England, Hodges Cheshire.<br />Thompson Northern Ireland,<br />Ireland,Scotland and Wales

Offline Welsh Jen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 March 04 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes I am quite happy to stay in contact regarding the Flynn's.

My Flynn's get quite confusing ::) There were 2 seperate families living in the same street, attending the same Roman Catholic Church with the same names but unrelated aaaahhh!

One of my Flynn's was enumerated wrongly in the 1901 UK Census he is down as James Colburt (not Colbert) and not James Flynn! which was his name (as I have his birth Cert).

Are you doing a One Name Study (or near enough!), as many Irish moved to Swansea, & I think I have seen all the Flynn's whilst searching for mine!!!!

You can contact me via this board or via my webpage & email if needs be.

Take care
Jen ;D

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: FLYNN, Ireland and Manchester, All dates
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 February 05 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gill

I too am interested in your Flynn (Flinn) research.

If you ever come across anything connecting the surname with the Dundee (old County Angus) area of Scotland, please do post.

I have in my line an Ann Flynn (or Flinn, spelling varies from record to record) aged 23, married to a David Youngson at Lochee, Dundee in 1861. Her parents are shown as Owen Flinn and Catherine Flinn (nee  ?), with her later death certificate showing her mother's maiden name to be Fitzsimmons.

I have used various scotlandspeople searches but cannot tie down Ann or her family (albeit there does seem to have been some other Flynn/Flinn's in area as well), so assume they and/or she probably moved to Dundee from Ireland (a Catherine Flynn was witness at the wedding, this could have benn her mum or, I suppose, sister).

Meanwhile best wishes to both of you for your own continued family research.

:)
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Welsh Jen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 February 05 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gill
Meanwhile best wishes to both of you for your own continued family research.
:)

Dear Scotmum

Thank you  :) The same applies to you, I hope you find the information you need soon and wish you all the very best in your research.
Jen

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 February 05 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Scottish Flynn/Flinn

I have met Flinns recently in Dumfrieshire

The person I spoke to said that they had always kept the spelling Flinn and were from Northern Ireland originally

My Flynns were Co Mayo and I believe some still in the Irish Midlands and USA

I look at Scottish records alot as alot of my family were from S Scotland

I'll keep an eye open for yours along the way

Cheers Gill

Offline tomf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 January 06 18:21 GMT (UK) »
My Flynns, John b.1799 wife Julia Daltonb.1809 Ireland to England abt 1854 with children Ellen, 1844?, Michael?, Marcella b.1846, John b.1850, Julia b.1852(blind) and Christopher b.1857 at Sheffield. Family next at Rochdale 1861 census, then at Halifax 1871 census. John died 1869 at Halifax, daug Julia died 1871 Halifax. Family then immig to U.S. 1872/73. Ireland county origin not known.  Also, John/Julia had a grandson Dennis b.1856/57 at Sheffield. Parents? Possible other children of John/Julia? 
flynn, dalton, hackley, ball, corrigan, mckenna, riley

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 February 06 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hei All,

Here is a useful site for all those researching Flinn/Flynn http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php Griffiths Valuations of Ireland 1848-64 shows the heads of household with these surnames who were living in Ireland. You may have difficulty tracing your ancestors if they were employed as a farm labourer or servant and lived in their employers home. People so employed may sometimes appear in the records of large estates.

Best Wishes, Christopher