Author Topic: Dougan in Old Monklands  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Steven_G_Dougan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dougan in Old Monklands
« on: Sunday 13 August 06 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am Steven Gerard Dougan, born in Parkhead Glasgow, married Ursula Knuepfer 12.04.1976. I am a Surveyor living and working in germany
My Father was John Thomas Dougan, born 14.03.1933 in Shettleston Glasgow, married Elizabeth Deeprose 06.06.1953, died 12.09.1993 the first non-miner(Painter).
His Father was John Thomas Dougan, born 14.12.1905 married Rosina Tracy 27.10.1927, died 28.04.1982; Coalminer.
His Father was John Thomas Dougan, born 03.06.1886 married Sarah Finnie 21.12.1903 d.o.d. unknown; Coalminer.
His Father was John Dougan, born 15.06.1865, married Mary Ward 31.12.1884, d.o.d. unknown; Coalminer.
His Father was James Dougan, d.o.b. unknown, married Mary Evers or Evens date unkown, d.o.d. unknown; Stoker on a Steamship.
All Coalminers were probably in Old Monklands employed, as that is where they lived, oldest known adress was that of John and Mary, and Birthplace of the first John Thomas as being 29 Porch Row, Cuillhill Heatheryknowe. My Father and Grandfather lived in Shettleston. I am now stuck and would like to know if anyone can help me.
In the 1881 Census there was a John Dougan married to Sarah Jane living at 27 Porch Row, but I have no indication to who they were.
Were James Dougan and his son John Dougan Irish? if so how can I find out?
I would be gratefull for any help or advice.
As I live in Germany I dont have access to the local Libraries, I have just about exhausted the Onlineservices of Scotlandspeople, but with no further results.
Thankyou all in advance

Steven Dougan
Dougan,Mitchell

Offline NellW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dougan in Old Monklands
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 06 13:55 BST (UK) »
Do you have John Dougan & Mary ward in the 1891 and 1901 censuses? - they should show if John was irish.

There is a Mary Jane Duggan listed in the IGI born to James Duggan & Mary Evers 10 MAY 1866, Down, Ireland.  Could this be a clue to your family?

Helen

Offline Steven_G_Dougan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

I do have John Dougan and Mary Ward,s marriage-cert. and there it is stated that James Dougan and Mary evers/Evens are Johns Parents. could you send me the link where you found the details of the birth of Mary-Jane?

thanks in advance

Steven
Dougan,Mitchell

Offline Steven_G_Dougan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

I found the link myself on the LDS-site, it really is a hot clue, and does sound promising, but I still cannot get any further back.

any ideas?

regards

Steven
Dougan,Mitchell

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 12:22 BST (UK) »
The 1851 index for lanarkshire County area  has several families with variations of the name Dugan,Duggan Duggen Dugin and Duggins the oldest being Susan aged 70 .... all of the adults appear to have been born in Ireland while some of the children were born in Old monkland.
As it is only an index details are limited but if you wish to see them I can forward some to you if you contact me by PM with an email address

Offline Steven_G_Dougan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Falkyrn,

thanks for the offer, have sent you my eMail-address by PM.

Regards for rainy Germany

Steven
Dougan,Mitchell

Offline saycom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Steven

I'm doing some research for a neighbour, his Grandfather's Thomas DUGAN/DUGGAN/DOUGAN marriage it states his father is James DUGGAN & his mother is Mary DUGGAN nee EVERS, on his death certificate it states his mother's name is Mary (looks like) KINCHLAR, previously DOUGAN nee (also hard to read KIPPIN/NIPPON?

In the 1891 Scottish census, Thomas is living in 30 Main Street Old Monkland  with his wife Catherine & family, his year of birth would be about 1860, born in Ireland, maybe Portadown, he died in December 1900 Telfer's Land Bargeddie.

So we  may have a connection, so please email me.

Regards  Ann
Australia