Author Topic: Ireland/US Lookup request?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline jimbohodge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ireland/US Lookup request?
« on: Sunday 13 August 06 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Can somebody please have a look at some Censuses for me please?

My Grt Grandmother Margaret Malloy emmigrated to America to live from Ireland in about 1925. I do not know who she went with. She may have travelled with her parents or Siblings.

Does anybody have access to a Passenger list? I have teied Ellis Island but that Websites information stops just before when i would be needing it.

She was born in 1905, Birr, Offally, Ireland. Her birth Certificate being the only factual information i have,other than 'Family Stories.'

Her parents were John Molloy and Mary Jane Brown.

I know she had a younger brother James, and another brother (possibly older) called Patrick. She may very well have had a few more siblings.

In New York she lived with a family known to be her cousins called the 'Dunnes'.

If possible a 1901 Ireland Census search to see possible parents?

A 1930 USA Census search for her living in New York?, she may or may not be living with the Dunne Family.

If anbody could also have access to a marriage register in Ireland for her parents? Probably around 1900, i suppose in Birr, Offally.

I know i have asked a lot here, but if somebody can just help me with one of these, that would be just so great. I have been searching for a lead for years now, with no luck.

Hope you can help.

Jim

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland/US Lookup request?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 August 06 16:32 BST (UK) »
Jim,

The 1901 census for Ireland is not yet on-line but is expected to commence coming on-line in December this year. If you can't wait until then, you can order the census films from your local Family History Centre (£2.70 each) to browse at your convenience within the centre. Have a look at http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C0%2C0&titleno=153084&disp=Census+returns%2C+Birr+Parish+%28Offaly++

for the likely film numbers.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get her parent's marriage cert. Download an application form from the National Archives site (www.nationalarchives.ie) and send it off with your best guess of the date. They will search one year either side, making a total of three years. If no luck try again with the next likely range of dates. You'll get there!

Leofric

Offline jimbohodge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 06 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for that - will certainly follow them up.

Do you know what costs are involved with the marriage search?

Jim

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 August 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
Jim,

The cost for a marriage cert is not much - from memory it was about 5 or 6 Euros a few months ago. Don't forget that  you need the 'full' or 'long' version of the cert - the short version doesn't give much detail.

Also, if you opt for a photocopy of the cert rather than a handmade copy of the original this is cheaper, and you get the full detail. All this is clear on the form that you can download from the website I gave you.

Leofric

Offline jimbohodge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 August 06 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Ok Cheers.

I don't want to sound too dumb, but how exactly can you acces the form you speak of from the website?

Thanks

Jim

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 August 06 13:11 BST (UK) »
Jim,

It's me that's being dumb! I gave you the wrong site. Here is the right one:

http://www.groireland.ie/

about halfway down the list on the left you will see the 'apply for certificate' button.

The cost of a photocopy entry is 6 euros - about four pounds.

Sorry again for my senior moment!

Leofric

Offline nancydunneUSA

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 December 06 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have access to the Ellis Island records and as my last name is Dunne and my grandparents lived in New York in 1925, I thought I would look up your Margaret.  I did not find anyone with your exact set of facts.

There are Margaret Malloys in the Ellis Island database, but these women do not fit the information you posted.

The closest I found was a Margaret Malloy who was Irish, but had Glasgow Scotland as her last permanent address.  She arrived in New York on Sept 28 1924 at the age of 22 years.  She was a wire brush maker and was going to join her parents Mr. Thos. Malloy in Rochester NY.

I also found a Mary Malloy who was 19 when she arrived at Ellis Island on 13 October 1924.  Mary came from Killmore, Neale, Co. Mayo.  Her father's name was Michael.  Mary was a domestic servant.  She stated that she was to join her Aunt Mary Costello who lived at 107 Lynch St in Brooklyn, NY.

ancestry.com also has a 1930 manifest for a 25 year old woman named Maragret Malloy living in Utica NY who became a US Citizen in 1929.

The only Margaret Malloy born in 1905 that I found in the 1930 census in New York was a woman who was born in New York

I don't know if any of this is any help, but one can hope!

Good luck and if you find that your Margaret's cousins are Tim and Bessie Dunne, please let me know.

Nancy Dunne