Author Topic: John DRAKE Dolgelly  (Read 4880 times)

Offline jeejack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Health & Safety??????
    • View Profile
John DRAKE Dolgelly
« on: Monday 01 November 04 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am trying to locate my great grandad who was born in Dolgelly around 1867 - he was 34 in 1901 census,
Employed as a carter - stone quarry.
It begs the question as to why and when he moved to bradley in Skipton??
Unfortunately his name was John DRAKE which is quite common!!
Any help at all would be great.
Thanks.
jeejack
TAYLOR,DRAKE and COWGILL West Yorkshire

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John DRAKE Dolgelly
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 January 05 15:46 GMT (UK) »
The name John Drake might be common in parts of England but it is very, very rare in Merionethshire.

The birth of only one person called Drake was registered in the Dolgellau registration district between 1837 and 1938 and that was of John Thomas Drake in 1867 - so I suspect that he was your man. If you e-mail the local registrar:

dylannjones@gwynedd.gov.uk

He will send you the details.

By the 1871 Census John is living in Halker Lancashire
RG10/4238 Folio 50 Page 8 Holker Lower
10 Holker
George Drake Head 37 Coachman Anclif Yorks
Hannah wife 30 York Yorks
John Thomas son 4 Scholar Dolgelley North Wales
George son 2 Skipton Yorks
Ann dau 7 months Holker Lancs

So it looks like the Drakes were just passing through Dolgellau at the time of John's birth.

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 January 05 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Another snipet about John Drake, he was Christened at St Mary's Church Dolgellau

1867 Feby 17th No 833
John Thomas son of George and Hannah Drake, The Cliff Dolgellau. Father's trade: Farm Bailiff by Evan Lewis Rector

Offline jeejack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Health & Safety??????
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 January 05 21:24 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant - Thanks for your help.
I'm intrigued as to what work took George all over the place, from servant to sheperd, to farm baliff(??) to coachman! I wonder if he was in service somewhere? to be going all over the country.

Offline pcav

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 April 12 22:30 BST (UK) »
I have the family bible of Hannah Drake which lists all the children they had.  My grandmother was the daughter of Edith Drake who was the fifth of the eight children and was born in 1875 in Lothersdale.

Offline jeejack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Health & Safety??????
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 00:45 BST (UK) »
 ;D wow thats great! Can you let me have the dob's of George and Hannah's children as I haven't got them all. Do you have any photos? I haven't got any of them. I have quite a bit of info. Are you in the Yorkshire area? Was your gran Elsie? How exciting to have a reply like yours   :o
Jeejack

Offline pcav

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 10:57 BST (UK) »
Elsie was indeed my grandmother.  I have quite a bit of stuff, unfortunately only one photo with John Drake on taken at the farm at Bradley.  Four of the others are on it too ie Fred, Lizzie, Edith and George.  They all look to be knocking on a bit by the time it was taken.  I also have some of Hannah (I think), well one certainly in front of her house in Glusburn, Lizzie who I remember going to visit when I was a child and William.

Below a copy of details written in the bible -

Hannah Duckett   born 7 February 1842   (Married George Drake)

John Thomas Drake   born  15 January 1867       at 3 o’clock in the morning     Dollegely North Wales

George Drake   born 14 September 1868   10 minutes past 12 at night    Skipton in Craven

Annie Drake   born 10 August 1870         half past 12 at night   Holker Grange  Lancashire

Lizzie Drake   born 16 September 1872    20 mins past 12 am   Holker Grange  Lancashire

Edith Drake   born 11 July 1875   half  by 2 in the afternoon   Lothersdale  Yorkshire

Mary Drake   born 24 August 1877         10 to 5 in the morning   Lothersdale  Yorkshire

Fred Drake   born 13 December 1879   10 to 3 in the morning   Lothersdale  Yorkshire

William Drake   born 11 September 1882   20 past 4 in the afternoon   Lothersdale Yorkshire

My dear
Elsie Drake   born 21 September 1892    quarter past 8 at night   Glusburn Cross Hills Yorkshire
   Daughter of Edith Drake

Mary Hutchinson   died 23 December 1910

William Drake   died 14 August 1911

I also have a photo of Hannah's grave, which she shares with the two above children who predeceased her.  Also have two silver dessert spoons and a silver sugar bowl and tongs which are monogrammed JD and belonged to John Duckett.  My mum thought he was a coachman in York but I note you have tracked him down as a butler!  All I know about George is that he lived at Hapton, which is near Padiham so I guess it is the one you identified.  I am in Yorkshire, having been born in Keighley and now live in Haworth.  Hope to hear from you.  Regards.

Offline jeejack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Health & Safety??????
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 11:47 BST (UK) »
 ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
FANTASTIC!!  Here is my email to discuss further *
jeejack
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php