Author Topic: HEALY bmd lookups and advice please  (Read 5373 times)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HEALY bmd lookups and advice please
« on: Monday 14 August 06 06:59 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to offer some advice please? I am searching for:
- Birth date of my gggrandfather Thomas Joseph Healy
- Marriage details of his father, Darby Healy (farmer) and mother, Anastasia Ryan, so I can order a marriage certificate if one exists
- Any other children born to this couple

I believe Thomas Joseph was born in about 1863 in New Ross, Wexford. He was later married in a RC church in Australia, so I'm assuming his family was RC too.

I have been told that if the family lived in New Ross the details are as follows: New Ross = Townland/Town, Wexford = County, Bantry = Barony, St Mary = Parish and New Ross = Poor Law Union. But I don't really know what to do with this information  :'(.

I have searched many sites such as leitrim-roscommon.com, failteromhat.com plus others. I can find no mention of this family in any of the obvious places. Even checked out Irish Origins but found nothing >:(.

I decided to order the appropriate film from the LDS library, but they have no records at all from Wexford - just my luck  :(.

To find my ancestors baptismal records/marriages, for a Catholic family living in New Ross, which would be the likely churches/ parishes I should search?

I cannot afford to pay someone to research on my behalf. I have also read reports (on another site) by dissatisfied clients who have paid for research in Wexford, so I am reluctant to go down that path at the moment.

Can anyone assist please? Is requesting a Parish Lookup by a kind rootschatter my only hope?

Offline tuttycotton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HEALY bmd lookups and advice please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 23 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi there just wondering if you got any information on Anastasia Ryan. Somewhere in our ancestors that sounds familiar but very unsure. My grand mother was Elizabeth Ryan her father was James Ryan of Church Lane New Ross.

Regards Brendan

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 November 23 02:33 GMT (UK) »
OP posted all the way back in 2006, so not clear if original question is still relevant - so much information now online that maybe already resolved?

But just in case:
The most likely church for an ancestor living in New Ross would be - wait for it! - New Ross!

Thomas Healy born 13/8/1858,  baptized 15/8/58, father Darby Healy, mother Anastasia Ryan

Brother Michael born 28/3/1862, baptized 30/3/62, New Ross.

(Original register is in Latin)
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 November 23 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brendan. As Wexflyer said, this is a very old thread, but I’m afraid that apart from the baptisms provided by Wexflyer which I found in the intervening years, I don’t have any more information about the family.

It could well be that your Ryans and my Ryans from New Ross may be related, though I assume it is a common name.

Have you taken a DNA test? I have quite a few DNA matches to this family in both Australia and Ireland, though I don’t know how many of us connect.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 November 23 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Darby is of course a nickname for Jeremiah.
There is a Jeremiah Healy listed in Griffith's Valuation (1853), living in the townland of Rathphaudin, otherwise Rathfardon, in the civil parish of Templeludigan, Catholic parish of Cloughbawn.
https://www.townlands.ie/wexford/bantry/templeludigan/templeludigan/rathfardon/
Living in a 5s hovel - obviously a laborer.
This is some way outside of town. No real way to know if this is the same chap - could have moved to New Ross.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 23 04:37 GMT (UK) »
I should point out - if Darby/Jeremiah was a farmer, then the farm had to appear in Griffith's Valuation. Only Jeremiah to be seen though though is a laborer. Unless the putative farm was in someone else's name in 1852/53.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 November 23 07:27 GMT (UK) »

My grand mother was Elizabeth Ryan her father was James Ryan of Church Lane New Ross.

Just adding the 1901 and 1911 census records for Ryan in Church Lane, New Ross.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/New_Ross_Urban/Church_Lane/1798678/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/New_Ross__Urban/Church_Lane/689955/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 November 23 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your contributions Wexflyer. Yes, I’m aware that Darby os a nickname for Jeremiah.  :)

The family aren’t easy to trace. I don’t know how you could determine if the Griffith’s Valuation Jeremiah and my Darby are one and the same.

His occupation was noted as “farmer” on his son’s Australian marriage and death certificates. I always assumed that wherever he farmed or worked as a labourer was owned by someone else.

I am hopeful that one day one of my Irish DNA matches will have some information about Darby and his origins.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 November 23 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your contributions Wexflyer. Yes, I’m aware that Darby os a nickname for Jeremiah.  :)

The family aren’t easy to trace. I don’t know how you could determine if the Griffith’s Valuation Jeremiah and my Darby are one and the same.

His occupation was noted as “farmer” on his son’s Australian marriage and death certificates. I always assumed that wherever he farmed or worked as a labourer was owned by someone else.

I am hopeful that one day one of my Irish DNA matches will have some information about Darby and his origins.

There may be some misunderstanding here.

If Darby Healy had a farm, or if any relative of his named Healy had a farm as of 1853, it would be included in Griffith's Valuation, rented or not. Well over 90% of farms were rented back then.
But the fact is that there is no Healy (or variant) farm listed  in Co. Wexford anywhere near New Ross.  There are three Healy families living in houses in the town of New Ross, and the Jeremiah Healy in the laborer's cottage in Cloghbawn. And that is it. Note that Grifith's Valuation listed the occupiers of all property of whatever type, other than short term lodgers. So if Darby or parents were anywhere in the vicinity of New Ross in 1853, they should be listed.