Author Topic: HEALY bmd lookups and advice please  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: HEALY bmd lookups and advice please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 November 23 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Jeremiah Healy was not long in Rathphaudin when the 1853 Grifiths's Valuation was published.
On the 23 May 1851 the same house belonged to a Mary Larkin.
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007246832_00018.pdf
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 November 23 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification Wexflyer … therefore it seems possible that the Griffith’s Valuation Jeremiah may be mine. Labourer/farm labourer/farmer, could be the same occupation for the same person.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 November 23 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification Wexflyer … therefore it seems possible that the Griffith’s Valuation Jeremiah may be mine. Labourer/farm labourer/farmer, could be the same occupation for the same person.

I would say so.

If the standard is that if a criminal trial, then I could not say that he is your man beyond a reasonable doubt. However, if the standard is that of a civil trial, then I would say that the preponderance of the evidence is that he is your chap.

And it would be far from the first time that a son/daughter provided an "undocumented" social promotion for their father. I have a known example in one of my lines of a farm laborer being described as a farmer on his daughter's marriage registration.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 November 23 12:25 GMT (UK) »

And it would be far from the first time that a son/daughter provided an "undocumented" social promotion for their father. I have a known example in one of my lines of a farm laborer being described as a farmer on his daughter's marriage registration.
[/quote]

I think it's fairly common. I have found a few people who have promoted a farm labourer to a farmer on a marriage registration too.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 November 23 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wexflyer.  :)

Yes, I’ve seen the “facts” embellished on certificates numerous times on certifcates.

Wexflyer, is there any way to discover more about this Jeremiah Healy?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 November 23 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wexflyer.  :)

Yes, I’ve seen the “facts” embellished on certificates numerous times on certifcates.

Wexflyer, is there any way to discover more about this Jeremiah Healy?

Yes, there are three options. And one suggests an alternate scenario. The three options are the parish records, the tythe valuations, for possible father and llocation, and cancelled valuation/rates books.

Now the parish records are extant for both New Ross (from 1789) and Cloughbawn (from 1816, called Killegney on NLI site), but there seems to be no sign of his baptism? So the information we can glean from these seem to suggest that he wasn't originally from either of these parishes - see next point.

Now the tythe valuation would be more interesting if you knew Darby/Jeremiah's father's name [as probably too early for Darby himself]. That said, there is a very interesting entry in the 1825 tythe valuation for Old Ross. Namely, Thomas Healy holding a farm of 10-3-28 Irish acres in the townland of Ballylane.
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625707/004625707_00044.pdf

Darby's eldest known son was also Thomas, suggesting his father was Thomas. If there is any truth in the family holding a farm, then this is the only one to come up so far in the vicinity of New Ross. Ballylane is in the parish of Cushinstown (Old Ross on NLI), and the parish records go back to the 1700s. Crucially, and unfortunately, however, there is a gap from 1830 to 1851 - precisely when we might expect Darby was born.  So, this is a credible (but again not certain) possible origin for him. Note that there is no Healy in the townland in Griffith's Valuation in 1853, so gone by then.

The third source of possible information on Darby are the cancelled Valuation Office books (rate books). He should be in them, which would show where he lived in New Ross, and when he dissappeared from the books would show when he died or emigrated.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer, thank you so mich for this information and giving me some renewed hope. It has been quite a few years since I looked at this family and to be honest, I had given up on them. At least now I have something new to consider.

When I looked throughthe NLI registers some time ago, and found the baptisms of my Thomas Joseph and his brother Michael (both came to Australia), I searched numerous years for more siblings and their parent’s marriage but found nothing. If the family moved around that may account for those two baptisms being the only ones in New Ross. At the time I also noted the absence of any other Healy families in that register for the years I searched.

I think your suggestions make very good sense and I will chase them up.

If I can crack this there are many descendants here in Australia who I’m sure will be very happy.

Thanks again.  :)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Oh, there is also one other resource - newspapers. IIRC you can search the BNA index for free and get a feel for results, and also see three (?) results free.