Author Topic: Rev John Cadvan Davies  (Read 8530 times)

Offline tegai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev John Cadvan Davies
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 January 07 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Further to my previous reply, I have now been able to see Cadvan's autobiographical notes in Welsh (Eurgrawn 1917).
b.1 Oct.1846 on small farm Yr Allt,Llangadfan.
grandfather on mother's side Edward Ifan, son of Maes Garthbeibio ; grandmother Coed-cae Llanbrynmair ; after marr.lived at Bron Haul,Garthbeibio.
grandfather on father's side David Davies,joiner,built Melin y Graig (Mill) on banks of River Twrch. He died young leaving his widow Dorothy with 6 children. Cadvan's father also apprenticed as joiner and in 1845 took a lease on some mountain land in Llangadfan and built a house, granary etc.

Cadvan m. 1st Maggie Jones, dau. of Hugh Jones,Ty'nypwll,Dinas Mawddwy,23 Aug.1876 in the Independent Chapel,Dinas Mawddwy.
2nd Mary Ada Evans,dau.of Meschach Evans,Manchester House,Coedllai (Leeswood) on 15 Aug.1882 in Wesleyan Chapel Mold.
The curious feature is that, after writing of wife 1 and the two children, she suddenly disappears and wife 2 arrives. The denominational periodical carries no obituary for her, as one would normally expect. If I remember, I'll ask around.
Tegai

Offline helior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 June 11 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Tegai, I'm using this contact to clear things up re my email saying that a "Tegai" had a message for me about John Thomas, Cwm, Dyserth. I was surprised to see this email because it's a long time since I've used rootschat before. My username then was "Iori"
I can see from your other messages that you are familiar with Wesleyan matters.
Family lore has it that there were two brothers, of whom John Thomas Cwm was one, who had something to do with the founding of Pendref Chapel, Mold and that one of these brothers had baptised my Uncle Bob, my mother's brother. I would love to find out more about them
Iowerth(username Helior)

Offline tegai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 June 11 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clearing up the mystery.
All I have been able to find about John Thomas is that he was a blaenor at Pendref, and that he died in Mold before 1913. He may have been involved with the substantial interior  work of 1876, or the building of a schoolroom in 1896. Pendref itself had been built in 1828, superseding a previous chapel of 1803/1822. There would almost certainly be an obituary in Yr Eurgrawn or Y Gwyliedydd but hunting it down would be a substantial undertaking without knowing the year of death.
I feel it is extremely unlikely that he christened your uncle. It is now, with the shortage of ministers, not all that unusual for a lay person to perform a baptism, but very rare then.     
Tegai