Author Topic: 1891 or 1901 census Port Glasgow - Lees  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Ag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1891 or 1901 census Port Glasgow - Lees
« on: Monday 14 August 06 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,

A witness to my gggrandfather William Lees' will was named as JAMES LEES, Shipwright, 14 Ardgowan Street, Port Glasgow. The will was drawn up in 1896.

I have been trying to find this James in the censuses and am having difficulty pinning him down.

I think he might have been William's brother as they appear together in the 1841 census in East Kilpatrick. James was aged 18 then and born Ireland. Of course, it could have been some other relation who witnessed the will but was definitely not one of William's children.

The name Lees was also spelt as LAYS/LEYS in earlier censuses.

If anyone has access to the 1891 and or 1901 census, I'd appreciate it if 14 Ardgowan Street could be checked for any sign of a LEES/LAYS/LEYS or even McLees etc.

Many thanks for any help.
Regards
Anne

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 or 1901 census Port Glasgow - Lees
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 August 06 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

In order for this James witnesser to the will to be a brother to your ancestor he would have been in his early 70's if I counted about right.  There are no deaths of a James L*S beyond a decent range of 1896 in Port Glasgow in order to make this be true.  If you search on Scotland people however for L*S births in Port Glasgow for a 10 year span of 1891 to 1901 there is only 1 page full and only 4 spelt LEES.  Take a chance on this one:

1896 LEES MARY ROY F PORT GLASGOW /RENFREW 574/00 0163

Can't tell you just who the family is but pretty sure her daddy is the one you seek and with some digging around you might just find a connection.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline Ag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 or 1901 census Port Glasgow - Lees
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 August 06 17:47 BST (UK) »
You wonderful person Jean! What lateral thinking.

Thank you so much. Have just looked at that entry......she was born 14 Ardgowan St and her father was James Chapman Lees, Shipwright.

I can now dig further to see where this James fits in.

Many thanks again!
Anne