Author Topic: quakers  (Read 2864 times)

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
quakers
« on: Monday 14 August 06 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all, :) :)

Why does nobody like the Quakers,? ???

Shropshire: - Parish Registers, Nonconformist and Roman Catholic Registers
Shrewsbury High Street Church Register.
Notes on the Church and Ministers.
Congregation and Buildings.

Sep 1684  "In the morning the Prisbyterian preachers, John Brian, Francis Tallents, preachers at Oliver's Chappell in the High Streete, and Mr. Rowland Huntt, Doctor Jackson, Doctor of Physick, Daniel Jenks, ironmonger, Joseph Pearson, cutler, presented him [King James H] with a purse of gold, supposed to be £100, and were freely accepted, butt still lying the obligation on them to chuse such members for next Parliament as should be for takeing of the penall laws and test, and to that end he left behinde him William Pen, chiefe and head of the quakers, who began to speake att Mardoll head; butt the rable supposing what hee would be att, the mobb gave a shoutt and over bawled him, so hee desisted and got his way, the mobb knocking the bulks as he passed." Oliver's Chapel was so-called after Thomas Oliver, a turner, who lived in the house. Cf. a small quarto volume written on paper of the time of James I, penes Stanley Leighton, Esquire, M.P., and noted by Sir H. C. Maxwell Lyte in the Report of the Historical Manuscripts Commission dealing with the library at Sweeney Hall.

25 Oct 1691  Meeting-house in High Street opened for public worship. Mr. Tallents caused the following inscription to be painted on the walls, where it is retained until this day. "This place was not built for a faction or a party, but to promote repentance and faith in communion with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made Heaven and Earth."

06 Jul 1715  "At night, our meeting-house was pulled down. The magistrates did little or nothing to prevent it." Cf. Memoirs of John Reynolds, London,  1735.

12 Mar 1885  Building restored, enlarged and re-opened; preacher, Rev. Henry William Crosskey, LL.D. (Glas.), of Birmingham.

Shades of Wembly here. ;D ;D

All the best.
Pete. :)
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: quakers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Found this a little time after you posted!  :)

In my opinion (having been to a Quaker School but being highly unreligious myself) the Quakers were disliked because the 'common' man whose favourite pastime out of work hours was, drink, fight and then go to church to show what a god-fearing man he was just could not understand the Quakers pacifism. 

They did not sing hymns, they did not preach and they did not recognise the class system, using thee and thou to everyone regardless of class.

This was just too much out of the order of things for organised religion to cope with in a time when religious fervour was the done thing.

And that could be the William Penn that went to the US and founded Pennsylvania.
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L
PLIMMER - Pontesbury, Ashton U L
CAMBRIDGE - Goulborne, Ashton U L
SIDDALL - Ashton U L

Offline miss marple

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 March 07 17:43 GMT (UK) »
But Quakers are wonderful for family historians because they kept such fantastic records! If you find some on the IGI they always have the full birth date (not just the christening date, which can be years away from the birth) and nearly always the date of death as well.

I was puzzled when I found some distant members on my family tree were all baptised and married in Olveston, Gloucestershire, because I knew they lived elsewhere. It turned out that Olveston was the Quaker centre at that time. Some of them must have travelled miles to get there. The fact that Quakers could only marry other Quakers also led to some very complex intermarriages between families!

Because Quakers were banned from attending universities they had to go into trade rather than the "professions", and it's amazing how many of our major industries were started by Quaker families (Cadburys, Rowntrees and Frys among others – though not Quaker Oats!) They were great social reformers and used to look after their workers extremely well: Bournville village is a good example (www.cadbury.co.uk/EN/CTB2003/about_chocolate/history_cadbury/social_pioneers/bournville_village.htm).

A fascinating group of people, all in all.

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 07 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Ditto

Im with Miss Maple on this one having found
some Quaker relations in my Family

I also can go along with the intermarriage
alot of Surnames keep re-occuring in my family.

Jinks

Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline Carrie Ann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 07 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I recently read that Quakers were so called because they trembled when filled with the Holy Spirit.

Is this true does anyone know?

Some of them certainly had acute business brains ,when they went to Pennsylvania they were aware of the potential value of the land they shared out.I`ve been reading about the lot who went from Wales.
Coram Allen Jayne  Dev/Som/Gloucestershire
Chambers Brecs/Rads//Hereford/Merthyr/Ebbw Vale
Jones/ Prosser/Probert/ Clyro,Rads
Price/Farr/Chambers Glasbury Brecs
Warby/Worldwide