Author Topic: Soldier's Marriage  (Read 2581 times)

Offline DEKKAXX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier's Marriage
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 August 06 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
Thanks for your reply but George snr. was invalided out of the army from India in 1854;3 yrs before the Indian Mutiny & I have a copy of the 1841 census entry for Jeremiah's family in Great Bardfield, Essex where his age is given as 60yrs. & his occ. is tailor. On all the docs. that I have re; George Frost snr. his birthplace is given as Gt. Bardfield & his occ. too is given as tailor. I also have the list of postings for the 70th foot & as I said the nearest that they came to the Ionian Islands, during George's service between 1833 & 1854, was Malta/Gibraltar. The 1 thing that differs in your list from mine is that they returned from Canada to England in October 1844 & not 1843. The list that I have was sent to me by the Regimental museum & is a direct photocopy straight from there annals, so I would assume that it is correct. Thanks for trying to help me with this enigma hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it 1 day. Re; your latest posting & James Frost I haven't linked him to me yet as I've been stuck on George's marriage. During the late 18th early 19th C. the Frost name is quite prolific in the South East so there is a good chance that this Capt. James Frost is linked in somewhere. Even though probably remotely linked he would be a very interesting branch to pursue.
Regards;
Derek