Author Topic: 1841 Census Question  (Read 1377 times)

Offline GagaGram

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 Census Question
« on: Tuesday 15 August 06 03:32 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 census, are the ages  stated for  an individual, their actual age or are they rounded up ?
My gr.gr.gr. grandfather is listed as 50 yrs. and gr.gr.gr. grandmother as 60 yrs. I'm trying to determine an approx. year of birth.
In 1851, are the ages actual?

Thanks for any help.
Nancy
Lancs-Greenwood,Rhodes,Driver,Hitchen.Grindrod,Kenyon,Westall,Atkinson,Baines,Ireland. Lancs/Westmoreland -  Harling. Ches/Lancs. -  Boulton,Nield/Neild,Higham,Collier/Colliers.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Question
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Nancy

The ages provided on the 1841 Census on the whole were rounded up ----usually.  Sometimes you get lucky and find someone who actually recorded the exact ages, and sometimes you get unlucky and find someone who rounded the ages down -- heaven knows why.  By 1851 the ages are as close to actual as possible - providing of course that the truth was told.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 03:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry Karenlee - the ages were rounded down  ;D

The enumerators were instructed to round the ages of those over 15 years down to the nearest five.

This didn't always happen but in your case, Nancy, the ages are even  - so your 3rd great grandparents could be up to 4 years older than shown on the census.

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 03:52 BST (UK) »
That's right Darcy. destroy any cred I had in one fell swoop. (joke)  Thanks for picking up on my mistake there, that's what comes of trying to think straight when both kids are off school sick with the 'flu and me just recovering from pneumonia.  And people think that winter is Australia is so benign.

Cheers
Karenlee

Offline GagaGram

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 04:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Karenlee and Darcy,
Thank you,both, for enlightening me and hopefully others.

Karenlee, hope you and your kids have a speedy recovery! Please keep the flu bug 'down under'!
Thanks,again for the help. Best wishes to all.
Nancy
Lancs-Greenwood,Rhodes,Driver,Hitchen.Grindrod,Kenyon,Westall,Atkinson,Baines,Ireland. Lancs/Westmoreland -  Harling. Ches/Lancs. -  Boulton,Nield/Neild,Higham,Collier/Colliers.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 04:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nancy.  I think that you are pretty safe from me, I have no plans, nor finances for that matter, to leave the country anytime soon unfortunately.  So my germs and those of my children will remain here in Australia.

Cheers
Karenlee

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 05:46 BST (UK) »

Hi Karenlee, ;D

Wish I had a dollar for every mistake I've made. ;D

I know what it like to have Pneumonia :'( Hope you and the children are all well soon.

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk