Author Topic: acrobat reader throwing wobbler  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
acrobat reader throwing wobbler
« on: Tuesday 15 August 06 08:54 BST (UK) »
hi

can sks please tell me why all of a sudden everytime i go onto a new webpage (including this site ), my acrobat reader suddenly opens, wasnt doing it yesterday, have recently had to use acrobat this week but only once, something tells me i might have gremlins what do you think, i will go and run my antivirus etc as a precaution

please let me know if anyone else has had this problem

best wishes and thanx jo
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: acrobat reader throwing wobbler
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 12:00 BST (UK) »
Ho Jo New

I've been getting the same problem.  SEE ALSO the message thread  'What is this Apple about?'

It seems when we enter rootschat some curious things are happening.  Quicktime is asking to be run and Acrobat starts running for no apparent reason.

You can press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to bring up Windows Task Manager and then kill them off if you want as they do not seem to be doing anything productive and are just using up resources.  The processes look like:

AcroRd32.exe
qttask.exe

downside

PS I have managed to find a method of preventing Acrobat contstantly loading for no apparent reason.  Follow these instructions:

http://www.allscoop.com/tools/acrord32-exe/
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 12:14 BST (UK) »
Gremlins or something nastier are possibles but if your system gets a clean bill of health from whatever scanners you use try checking the auto update options in Adobe Reader
Run the program press Control and K (or find preferences under "EDIT") Update is at the bottom of the list and checking this shows various options (including information as to when it last tried to update itself)

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 12:18 BST (UK) »
Yep its happening here too !  also have been asked to enter user name and password to get on this site instead of the usual "welcome Cog" !

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Cog

That would infer that you are running some process that removes cookies.  If your rootschat cookie is removed then you will have to sign in everytime the cookie is deleted.

downside

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 14:36 BST (UK) »
OH FLIPPING HECK !

Have tried everyones way without nothing,

when i go onto a new page i only get the GREY ACROBAT READER screen opening, and when i try to go into edit, nothing is there
for me to
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]hi-light to

Run the program press Control and K (or find preferences under "EDIT") Update is at the bottom of the list and checking this shows various options (including information as to when it last tried to update itself)

also cant find this either

Ho Jo New

I've been getting the same problem.  SEE ALSO the message thread 'What is this Apple about?'

It seems when we enter rootschat some curious things are happening.  Quicktime is asking to be run and Acrobat starts running for no apparent reason.

You can press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to bring up Windows Task Manager and then kill them off if you want as they do not seem to be doing anything productive and are just using up resources.  The processes look like:

AcroRd32.exe
qttask.exe

downside

PS I have managed to find a method of preventing Acrobat contstantly loading for no apparent reason.  Follow these instructions:

http://www.allscoop.com/tools/acrord32-exe/

do you think im best uninstalling it and reinstalling it ?

thanx jo

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo New

It doesn't sound too healthy.  Have you got Acrobat version 7.0?

I would go to the Adobe website and download the latest version.  Be warned it is a big download even if you have broadband.

Unfortunately you have to have Acrobat as there are so many PDF files about on the Internet.  Quite a few other programs use it as well so it is more or less compulsory to have it.

Since I followed those steps I listed in a previous thread of this topic I'm pleased to say AcroRd32.exe no longer automatically loads a process in the background.  I'm not sure that rootschat caused this problem as it appeared when I entered other sites as well.  I don't know what suddenly caused it to keep respawning, as far as I can tell it is not due to update itself until the end of the month.  I'm mystified as to why it kept launching itself in the background as I haven't attempted to open any PDF files.

downside

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 15:12 BST (UK) »
HI Downside, thanks for getting back to me so quick

believe it or not my acrobat is 3.0 !!!!, had from new nov 2005 in new pc

i will go and download 7 right away,

dont go to far i might need you again ! lol  ::)

jo

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 15:41 BST (UK) »
EUREKA !!!

THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U

Have uninstalled the old and installed the new, so fingers crossed it hasnt popped up again lol.

maybe its acrobats way of saying "oi u, update ur blumming acrobat" !

thanx again

Jo