Author Topic: HIRD & CROALL, Passengers to Canada  (Read 3785 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
HIRD & CROALL, Passengers to Canada
« on: Friday 09 July 04 02:01 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where to look for passengers arriving in Canada in 1876.  Have looked through many passenger lists on "shipslist", but no luck.  Looking for ship my GGGrandfather, William D. Hird, his wife Mary CROALL, and their adult children arrived on.  Also looking for arrival of Laurence Smith's arrival and ships name as well.   He is from Houss, Burra, Shetland.   Possibly could get this through inGenea, but hesitate to order info without being sure have correct persons.  Hirds were from Arbroath, Angus, Scotland.  Want to give a big thanks to the person who put the parish abreviations for names.  Super info.  Thanks all, Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline weesue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 March 05 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where to look for passengers arriving in Canada in 1876.  Have looked through many passenger lists on "shipslist", but no luck.  Looking for ship my GGGrandfather, William D. Hird, his wife Mary CROALL, and their adult children arrived on.  Also looking for arrival of Laurence Smith's arrival and ships name as well.   He is from Houss, Burra, Shetland.   Possibly could get this through inGenea, but hesitate to order info without being sure have correct persons.  Hirds were from Arbroath, Angus, Scotland.  Want to give a big thanks to the person who put the parish abreviations for names.  Super info.  Thanks all, Lauraine

I am trying to trace my GG grandfather James Connelly married to a Moran Croall. Their Daughter Margaret Connelly married 11/04/1902 in Lochee Dundee, Scotland to Patrick Casey, I think Patrick and Margaret were born in Ireland?
Can you make any connection to your tree?
Susan Casey:- From Glasgow Scotland - Searching for-
(Glasgow) Casey, Connelly, Croall, Cummiskey, Gilliland, Holmes, McDivitt, Roache.
(Ayr) Boyd, Pearson, Peirson, Paton,MacCreadie, Earl

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 05 06:33 BST (UK) »
I do not think my Mary Croall is related to your family, but could be very wrong.  My Records show Mary b. 1826, Arbroath, Scotland and d. 1892 in Manitoba, Canada.  Do hv a pic of her gravestone.  He married Wm. D. HIRD and they plus their adult children emigrated to Canada aboard the St. David in 1872 (Allan Line).  For some reason Mary is listed as a "domestic" on the manifest???  Finally found their ship! ;D
Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 May 06 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan Casey: :D

Am having some second thoughts re your Croall's of Dundee.  Have discovered that Dundee is in Angus Province, the same as Arbroath.  There may be a connection, but not sure what.  A number of Croalls can be found in the Parish of Brechin, Angus.  Recently found other family who moved from Arbroath to Dundee.  Both were weaving districts so a possibility exists.  My knowledge of Scotland geograph is sadly lacking. >:(

Lauraine

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HIRD & CROALL, Passengers to Canada
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 August 06 01:51 BST (UK) »
Did your Hirds start in Ontario and end up in the macdonald district of Manitoba?
Maybe name the children in case anyone ever comes up with information...but if
this is your family, how did you get the date of immigration to Canada?...

but have alook at the topic at the top of your board...as it explains  all that we
can do is find census immigration information which may be years out and also
look through the same passenger lists online...
Sticky Topic:
Ship Passenger Lists to Canada AFTER 1865 (please read before posting)

J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 August 06 05:40 BST (UK) »
Hi: 

I got the date through a genealogy site.  Darn can't think of the name of it - had to pay, but the sum was nominal.  Will try to find the name of the site and post later.  They sailed from Glascow aboard the St. David and the departure date was given in the info as well as the arrival date.  This is the family that originally settled in the MacDonald district and later in North & South Norfolk Municipalities.  Some suggestio that David T. Hird (my mat. great grandfather) had been to Canada once before, but can find no record of this earlier voyage.  They did settle in Ontario, prior to emigrating West.  G. Grandfather came west via the Minneapolis/St. Paul Route - railway to Minneapolis and then river boat to Winnipeg, supposedly with his oldest daughter Devina.  Remainder of the family including his mother, Mary Croall came later via the newly established railroad. ;)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 October 08 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, Lauraine...from the 1901...which I know you've seen, as I saw your notation below!  ;D  http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=64273&highlight=23
Laurence seems to say he came over in '62 and David T. in '71 ( Jessie has '76...which is odd)

a James (Herd) is listed as having checked in June 26 1871, Toronto Emigrant Office Assisted Immigration Registers,
headed for Hamilton...Wonder if he was a rellie

do you have the death for David's brother William (born c. 1854 Arbroath) in 1927 York?
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?#p=0
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 October 08 04:25 BST (UK) »
oops I see you found them in 1872, why did I think you were still looking for it....?

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 October 08 04:36 BST (UK) »
children of William Duncan Hird & Mary Croall
Cora HIRD -c. 1867 Of, Arbroath, Angus, Scotland (this is a submission)
Elisabeth DUNCAN HIRD - b. Feb 20 1861 Arbroath, Angus, Sctlnd
John HIRD - b. Mar 30 1858 Arbroath
William DUNCAN HERD -Sept. 23 1853 Saint Vigeans, Angus, Sctlnd
David THOMSON HERD - Sept. 25 1851 Saint Vigeans
James HIRD - Apr. 30, 1856 Arbroath
Alexander CROALL HIRD - May 2, 1865 Arbroath
Mary HIRD - Sept. 21, 1863 Brechin, Angus

re: marriage for Jessie Anderson Nicholl & David Thompson Hird? If they married in Scotland in 1875 then did he return and marry her, then come back to Canada? 

See that they were married Dec.23 1875 arbroath...  Jessie Ander Nicol / David Thomson Hird extracted IGI   Family