Author Topic: Munro/Monro/Monroe family in Ireland  (Read 2708 times)

Offline carolbee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Munro/Monro/Monroe family in Ireland
« on: Wednesday 16 August 06 07:08 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if someone could help me trace some relatives.  Mary Munro married George Bruce  (he from Grange, Banff, and she from Fife) in about 1838 and went to live in Leitrim, Ireland.  George was shot and killed in the early 1840's and sometime after that, Mary moved to Newry, County Down with their 3 young sons.

Mary and her siblings were all born in St Andrews, Fife, and although I found the 5 youngest children and their parents (John Munro and Ann McCleod Braid) in the 1841 census in Scotland, most, if not all, seem to have completely disappeared from Scotland from then on.  I have not been able to find any deaths on Scotlands People for the family.

Their details are:

Katharine Monro – born 26 August, 1813,
Mary Monro – born 5 March, 1815. (Married George Williamson Bruce in about 1838)
John Monroe – born 6 October, 1816
David Monro – born 30 July, 1818
Jess Monro – born 15 May, 1820
Norman Braid Monro – born 18 April, 1822
Isabella Monro – born 29 January, 1824
Hugh Munro – born 20 August, 1826
Alexander Braid Munro – born 7 December, 1828
James Munro – born 1 October, 1830

As you can see, there are variations in the spelling of the surnames, which further complicates things. The IGI has a marriage for Norman Braid Munro in 1847 in "Ireland" so it could be that the others went there also, perhaps to help support Mary after the loss of her husband.  Does anyone have any knowledge of these people?  Thanks, Carolyn.

BRUCE (Banffshire, Leitrim)
HOSIE (South Leith, North Leith, Fife)
SIVES/SEVES/SIEVES (Leith, South Leith)
LOUDON (Midlothian)
MONRO/MUNRO (Fife)
PETRIE (Leith)
AYLWIN (London, Surrey, Sussex)
TAPPY (London, Kent)

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Munro/Monro/Monroe family in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 August 06 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolyn. Don't know if this is off any help to you.

Newry 1870.

Monroe, Rev, John, H. The Manse Downshire Place.

Sorry but thats all i could find.

Anthony

Offline carolbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 August 06 09:54 BST (UK) »
At this stage, I'm not sure if he is connected but thanks for looking.

Carolyn
LOUDON (Midlothian)
MONRO/MUNRO (Fife)
PETRIE (Leith)
TAPPY (London, Kent)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 23:28 BST (UK) »
Familysearch as you know has NORMAN BRAID MUNRO  has an extracted marruage record , I have wondered what the full record has at St. Andrews And St. Leonards, Fife.
What about tracing his wife ANNE ARMSTRONG  who he married in 1847
As you know there are 15 David Monro or Munro born in 1813 on the same site

Ros Davies website for Co Down has many Monro etc, but none that seemed relevant to me.

I went looking in England for free BMDS.  Here if you try the children with variant surnames you could come to the conclusion they could have moved south into England indeed as far south as London,  I was looking at the many Hector and David and the very few Jessie, but have had to stop now, good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline carolbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 10:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, Jim, I found the births for all the children on familysearch, but thanks for all your suggestions. I will check out the Ros Davies website ... didn't know about that one before!  I think it will keep me busy for some time!  Thanks again.
Carolyn
LOUDON (Midlothian)
MONRO/MUNRO (Fife)
PETRIE (Leith)
TAPPY (London, Kent)

Offline jfec

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 December 23 09:22 GMT (UK) »
I have a bit of information about the Munro family in St Andrews, based on some old family letters, but I have not discovered much about the children of John Munro and Anne McCleod Braid. The 1851 census shows that John and Anne were still living in St Andrews with three grandsons, William, John and George Bruce, presumably the children of Mary and George Bruce. Any further information about this couple would be welcome, such as the evidence for George's shooting accident. Did Mary also die, did she re-marry, emigrate? There were shopkeepers in St Andrews called Bruce who did business with John Munro's brother Alexander, but I've not seen any evidence of Mary's marriage. The 1841 Irish census shows George and Mary Bruce (both born in Scotland) staying with another Scot, John Fyfe, in Co. Cavan, with an infant son, John.
The second youngest child of John and Ann Munro of St Andrews, Alexander Braid Munro, is referred to in the Skagit River Review of History and Folklore (http://www.skagitriverjournal.com/) as having settled in Whatcom County, Washington state, under the assumed name of Edward Eldridge.