Author Topic: Little Bolton.....Todd Street  (Read 3476 times)

Offline Phay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sandy Stallworthy ... My Mum ... 4.4.46 - 15.1.02
    • View Profile
Little Bolton.....Todd Street
« on: Thursday 17 August 06 00:43 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me please?

I have found some rellies living in Todd Street,  Little Bolton.
1881 Census.
By a stroke of coincedence my brother moved to Bolton before I found these roots there, I would dearly like a picture of the house/street where they lived but Little Bolton no longer exists and I can't seem to find where it's bounderies would now lay to pinpoint where the street is or was?

Does anyone know where to look?

Thanks

Phay
STALLWORTHY, ANASTASIOU, WINFIELD, TAYLOR, OXINIOU, LOUCA, BROWN, SCHAFER, VASILI, HAJIVASILI, OXINOS,

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Little Bolton.....Todd Street
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 August 06 12:47 BST (UK) »
Luckily the 1881 is searchable by address. Todd St is in District 24, and the Description Sheet mentions other street which do still exist.

It's in the district halled Halliwell, north of the town centre, north of Topp Way and west of Higher Bridge St.

The sheet mentions:
Poplar St, Bangor St, Rainforth St, Gray St, Haydock St, Robinson St, Alpha St, TODD ST, Beta St, Delta St, Back Rudge St, Back Haydock St, Haworth St, Lyndhurst St.

On a scan of a 1920 Bolton map Todd St runs east-west between Haydock St and Back Haydock St.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Phay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 August 06 18:59 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks Andrew I will do some more digging in that area then maybe something of the old street remains

STALLWORTHY, ANASTASIOU, WINFIELD, TAYLOR, OXINIOU, LOUCA, BROWN, SCHAFER, VASILI, HAJIVASILI, OXINOS,

Offline Andy001

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 06 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hiya,you'll find the Little Bolton area on the Alan Godfrey map-
Bolton (North) 1908 Lancashire Sheet 87.09
you can order off the website,I think its about 60p postage no matter how many maps you order.

Bolton archives have a load of old photos,some are on a website:

www.ourtreasures.org

Comparing the 1908 map with a new a-z there are a few streets still there and they've re-used a few old street names in slightly different places.

West Midlands;Manchester;Halifax;Wadsworth;<br />Denholme;Aberdeen;Leeds;Oxford;Ludgershall;Bletchingdon<br /><br />Watson,Pollitt,Briggs,Purcell,Byron,Clancy,McNulty,Hartley,Spencer,Whyte,Worth,Mills,Cripps,Howson,Wright

Offline Phay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 August 06 00:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy,

do you think they will be available at the local Library in Bolton?

could ask my brother to have a look!!

Offline Andy001

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 August 06 12:20 BST (UK) »
I don't know if the local history archives (at the back of the library) sell maps  or owt, but he should definitely be able to get it from Waterstones.
It should be £2.10

Todd street is at the bottom

West Midlands;Manchester;Halifax;Wadsworth;<br />Denholme;Aberdeen;Leeds;Oxford;Ludgershall;Bletchingdon<br /><br />Watson,Pollitt,Briggs,Purcell,Byron,Clancy,McNulty,Hartley,Spencer,Whyte,Worth,Mills,Cripps,Howson,Wright

Offline Phay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help, 
I will recruit my brother into the quest!