Author Topic: Peterswell - Co. Galway Town or Parish?  (Read 3938 times)

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
Peterswell - Co. Galway Town or Parish?
« on: Tuesday 02 November 04 03:52 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor Margaret Lewis married in Australia in 1857 and on her marriage certificate Peterswell Co. Galway was listed as her birthplace and she was Roman Catholic.  There is a town by that name not far from Dunguarie Castle and on a map I downloaded it shows what appears to be two Peterswell parishes and this is causing confusion.  I do not know which is right because I cannot trace her birth c. 1837,any siblings or her parents John and Catherine Lewis nee Hickey. :(
Any help would be appreciated
Regards  Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Peterswell - Co. Galway Town or Parish?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hei Juddee,

I looked for Peterswell (Tobar Pheadair) on a map in an old AA guidebook. It is near a place called Skeharagh. Has a search been done in the records of the Established Church (Anglican/Church of Ireland) ?

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 June 05 23:42 BST (UK) »
Christopher

Thanks for the information....didn't know that records existed for the Established Church.  Where are they held,Christopher?  I was concentrating on the RC records.......big mistake

Such a huge mountain to climb in trying to find this family ...been at it for years and got nowhere.  Griffiths Valuation has shown nil, zero etc on Margaret's father who was a farmer.   The parents may have died ....her reason perhaps for migrating to Oz in 1857. Or the family may have moved to England to escape the potato famine.  Anything is possible isn't it? ??? ???

Thanks again  :D :D :D

Cheers Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 June 05 11:24 BST (UK) »
Juddee,

A Google for:
Peterswell + Galway
gets lots of hits.

One at
http://www.strandnet.com/creggs/galmap.htm
seems to suggest that Peterswell is a parish in East Galway with alternative name Kilthomas.

If this is correct then a search for the Civil Parish of Kilthomas on the SeanRuad site at:
http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/
will list all the townlands in the parish.

The following link may help with information about Church of Ireland records for the Parish.

Click Here

JAP

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 June 05 22:22 BST (UK) »
JAP

Apologies for not replying earlier.

Thanks for your information.  Have visited the sites and found a
parish address and will be writing to the person listed..........with everything crossed in anticipation for a positive reply. :)

Thanks again  :D :D

Juddee