Author Topic: Liverpool query  (Read 3501 times)

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Liverpool query
« on: Thursday 17 August 06 21:37 BST (UK) »
Can anyone hazard a guess as to the date of this photo please and does anybody know if this shop still survives today?  Thanks, Poli
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline Paradun02

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool query
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 06 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Poli,
Sorry no answer to either of your queries, however I will be going into Liverpool in the next two weeks, so if you have not had an answer by then, I will visit the two locations to have a look what's there. I have taken the liberty of printing off your photo, just in case the shop shop is still in existence.
Two weeks is a long time, so I hope someone can help you before then.
Good luck.
Brian
Winnard (Wigan & Lancashire)
Leyland (Wigan & Lancashire)
Dann (Ormskirk & Lancashire)
Orr (Liverpool & Ulster)
Ainscough (Hindley Wigan)

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 August 06 22:37 BST (UK) »
hi Polidor
I can't tell you if the shop is still there  or date your photo. But found this on a website.   E.J.Vanderbilt, 10 James Street, & 67 Church Street, Liverpool . Victorian photographer. If you google about there is a mention that he did Victorian Photo's and Cabinet Card photo's. You will find some more of his work on this web site.

http://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cabinet/cabinet.htm

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 August 06 23:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paradun02 for the offer. Just in case it is still in existence and you feel like a bit of 'sleuthing', there is a number on the back of the photo---Pose No. 25840--- just in case they keep records Not that this is a long shot of course !!!!!

Thanks also to ricky1, i'll visit the site you mention. Should be interesting. Poli.
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline Paradun02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 August 06 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi again Poli,
I have been into town (Liverpool) today, yes I went early, my curiosity was getting the better of me, so off I went.
Not good news though I’m afraid.
12 James Street is housed in a Victorian Building taking in 10-12. It is named “Crown House”, but I think the signage was once must longer, may have been removed and the boltholes in filled with a filler compound. That’s how it appears anyway.  The entire building is closed up and signed, “To let”; it is also scheduled for refurbishment.
67 Church Street is missing, whether or not the building is, could be another matter. As you walk up Church Street from the low numbers, you will come to a building which houses the “John Lewis Partnership”, this building wraps round a left handed bend into what is now Parker Street. Also set into this building is a foot ware shop named “Schuh”. The entire building is numbered 59-61.
Then crossing over Parker Street to carry on along Church Street, the next shop is “Car Phone Warehouse” and a Jewellers, these are numbered 69 and 69a.
I think 67 Church Street, may in those times have been incorporated into the building which is now the “John Lewis Partnership”, but the top end of the building is now in Parker Street, but could then have been 63-67, making the entire building 59-67 Church Street (speculation).
The nearest type of shop was one named “Past Times”, but no one in there had any knowledge of the early area. That shop was numbered 81 Church Street.
Sorry I couldn’t be of help to you Poli.
Good luck with your searches.
Brian.
Orr (Liverpool & Ulster)

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 06 13:51 BST (UK) »
John Lewis is in the old George Henry Lee building - when GHL's was built, were the old buildings demolished first??
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex

Offline Paradun02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 06 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Poli,
I’ve just been to my local Library to have a look for any old Liverpool Street Plans. I found one from the City Transport Office dated 1904.  I was wrong again, Church Street did not follow round into what is now Parker Street, because Parker Street was there all the time, well it was there in 1904 anyway.
However, I am now more than ever convinced that the Studios you seek, were in the building that is now the “John Lewis Partnership” Store.
I’m always disappointed when one of my treks ends in failure. I’m better looking for headstones, but I’ve many times been known to fail there also.
I’ll leave you in peace now Poli (maybe).
Cheers.
Brian.
Orr (Liverpool & Ulster)

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 August 06 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian, i really appreciate the time you've spent on this query. However, i'm not surprised the studio no longer exists, dissappointed though if i'm honest, because this particular member of my family is causing me more than a few problems and i was hoping i might be able to find out the date it was taken.

On the back of the photo there are the words" Jonathan Australia"and "Blodwen's stepbrother".

This particular Jonathan[ there are a few in the old family!!!] appears to be the son of my great uncle George Evans [i think]

I have another  photo of a man & woman with the words "Uncle George"then in brackets "[ Blodwen's mother]"referring, i assume, to the lady in the photo. then the words "His first wife"

I've been going round in circles with this little problem ??? ???

I keep looking at these blessed 2 photos and hoping for a miracle of deduction.

Uncle George Evansbc1857 Liverpool appears in 3 censuses but married to Anne. His parents were Daniel Evans bc1824 Llandyrnog& Elizabeth nee Hughes bc1831 Holywell. [ Daniel also had a brother called Jonathan bc 1833 ]But---he [uncle George]has a son Jonathan bc 1883 and George has a brother Jonathan bc1864 Llanfwrog. Blinking Jonathans all over the place!!!

I ask you---can you think of a better way to induce madness ;) Poli
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London