Author Topic: legg's  (Read 2767 times)

Offline marriedwithkids

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
legg's
« on: Tuesday 02 November 04 08:36 GMT (UK) »
i am seeking info on Stephen Legg born Hampshire abt.1825 his parents were Charles Legg & Jane Hiscock.in 1848 he married a widow named Elizabeth Gray[Harmon was her married name] and he was 35years old at the time. they married in Ripley but i don't know if this is in hampshire or not.any info would be helpful. anything on their immigration to australia in 1855 on board washington irvine helpful as well especially who was born in england before coming out and which kids from elizabeth's first marriage came with them[there was 6 to frederick harmon]
thanks for any help
Vickie
Muddle\Sussex
Shears \Cornwall\ northumberland
Lee\Hertfordshire
Matthews\Essex
Plumb\Cambridge

Offline twink

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Researching family history
    • View Profile
Re: legg's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 18:38 GMT (UK) »
I think there are quite a few places with the name of Ripley

One is in Surrey and I believe there is another in Derbyshire.
Peters / Breden / Breeds / Evans + more, Garner / Ensbury / Beaver / Burgess + more, Elrick / Giles / Salmon / Parsons + more, Lucas / Webster / Austin / Chopping + more

Offline PJH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 17:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a ROPLEY in Hampshire (half way between Alton and Winchester). Possible??

Phil
Researching GREENFIELD/COOPER/OSBORNE/BLOOMFIELD/BLAKE/BATCHELOR and MARTIN in Sussex/Essex/Middx and CECIL/WILLIAMS/CASTELL/STEVENS in Brighton area.
KEARLEY (CURLEY) and WILLIAMS Isle Of Wight.
HAYMES/HEAMES/ESSEX/CHILD/HORTON in Warwickshire.
CASTELL - London area and CECIL/RALPH/YEWER/ALDRIDGE Middx and Staines.
FLINT in Surrey and Sussex

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vickie,

I have looked at my parish atlas as well as the list of parish registers for Hampshire.  There is a Ripley in Hampshire but it was not a parish in itself.  It was part of Christchurch.

May I suggest that you ask for a look-up of the 1851 census for this family in Hampshire, to see if you can get any more details about birth-places.  At the moment I can't find your Stephen at all in any of the stuff I have here.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk