Author Topic: Irish roots (Canada)  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Janine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Irish roots (Canada)
« on: Friday 18 August 06 18:11 BST (UK) »
I am starting in County Cork because my sister has a vague memory of our grandmother mentioning it.  Our Collier and Carbery ancestors came to Ontario, Canada, probably in the early 1830's.

I have exhausted all Canadian information I can find.  I am hoping to eventually find some Ships' Lists that will help me.  My question is, if my Colliers and Carberys were listed here in Ontario censuses as "Church of England", is there a likely area of Ireland they would have been from?
Thanks so much.  Attached, my g grandparents John Henry Collier and Elizabeth Jane Carbery
Janine in BC Canada
Janine Page nee Rewers
Canadian ... but really 1/8 Swede, 1/8 Irish, 3/4 English!
Sussex: Winter, Crowhurst, Vine, Woolgar; London: Liston, Canada: Rewers; Carbery, Collier (Irish immigrants); Sweden: Trolle, or von Trolle

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Irish roots (Canada)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Janine,

"The Cork Churches & Diocesean details - Link" thread on the Cork Resources board may contain some information. The Anglican Chuch (Church of Ireland) was the Established Church, or the official state church. It was disestablished by William Gladstone's Liberal government on 1st January 1871. 
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=252841.msg1402347#msg1402347

Christopher

Offline nicky46

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Winter Family of Sussex
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 15 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine

This is a bit of a shot in the dark and do forgive me for bothering you.   I see you have not been active on RootsChat for quite some time but  I am seeking details of the descendants of Alfred Winter, 1886-1955, and Lilian Harriett Crowhurst 1884-1975 and wonder if you can help in any way.

Thanks
Nicky