Author Topic: COOKIES  (Read 1546 times)

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: COOKIES
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 August 06 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

People seem to be saying that there are GOOD cookies and that there are BAD cookies.  How do you tell the difference?

To be on the safe side you could delete the lot but that may cause you an inconvenience as the good cookies store your username and password for sites like rootschat so that you do not need to login everytime you visit the site.

The alternative is to download a program like Spybot Search and Destroy which will scan your computer for BAD cookies and leave the good or neutral ones alone.  You can download this program free of charge (although you may wish to make a donation) from:

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10401314.html

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 August 06 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

You stated that you found a damaged folder or file in the Temporary Internet Files folder.  I would flush it out by running Disk Cleanup:

Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Cleanup

Bear in mind they are only temporary files and therefore of little importance to the running of your computer.  Leaving a damaged file on your system may cause Internet Explorer to throw a wobbly though, so best get rid of it just in case.

downside

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 August 06 11:49 BST (UK) »
Downside

It is in a downloaded program file area. It says it was downloaded in 20003
dont know what it is

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 August 06 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

Sorry, I thought you said it was in Temporary Internet Files.

Is the location: C:\Program Files\ ?

If so double click on the folder name and see if you can enter that folder and list its contents.  If you can see the files in that folder then look for an executable file.  It should have an .exe extension.  Normally there will be a little icon on the left hand side as well.  If you are lucky there may be an Uninstall file listed - in which case you can uninstall the program if it is unwanted.

If you find an .exe file in the directory but still do not understand what this program is, then do a Google search for unknown.exe (or whatever it is called) and see if it returns any results.

downside

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 August 06 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

Sorry, I thought you said it was in Temporary Internet Files.

Is the location: C:\Program Files\ ?

If so double click on the folder name and see if you can enter that folder and list its contents.  If you can see the files in that folder then look for an executable file.  It should have an .exe extension.  Normally there will be a little icon on the left hand side as well.  If you are lucky there may be an Uninstall file listed - in which case you can uninstall the program if it is unwanted.

If you find an .exe file in the directory but still do not understand what this program is, then do a Google search for unknown.exe (or whatever it is called) and see if it returns any results.

downside

Hi Downside

Its C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\1UCTLDLL       ( says damaged)

Erin

Ps   how do yo just get part of a quote to come up when replying to a message ????
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 August 06 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

I guess you should follow the advice on the link below:

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=265751

Good luck

downside

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 August 06 18:34 BST (UK) »
Ps   how do yo just get part of a quote to come up when replying to a message

Erin

I highlight the text I want to copy, click the Quote button and insert it between the two Quote brackets.

Dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 August 06 21:38 BST (UK) »
Dinie

Thanks!!
Erin

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 August 06 21:42 BST (UK) »

I guess you should follow the advice on the link below:

Downside

Wow!!!! you are smart

That is the exact same problem I have.  same file

Erin