Author Topic: 1901? Census Lookup  (Read 983 times)

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1901? Census Lookup
« on: Friday 18 August 06 20:45 BST (UK) »
I have no idea when the Irish censuses were taken or which ones are available, but just in case the 1901 census is available, can anyone find a Claud/e Leon Alexander Carleton (or Dunning possibly?) for me in Ireland?

On his marriage certificate to Ellen Turner, in 1897 he was a sergeant in the Worcestershire Regiment. I think I've found his wife in the UK, in 1901, living with his half brothers and sisters, but not sure.....

If he was in the Worcestershire regiment and they weren't in Ireland in 1901, where were they??

Also, Ellen Turner (aged 26) was a widow and her maiden name was Armstrong - father was "Edmund Armstrong". Can anyone find an Edmund Armstrong of the right age to be Ellen's father (his occupation was Smith)

Any help appreciated
Thanks
Catherine  :)
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1901? Census Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 August 06 16:05 BST (UK) »
Catherine,

The Irish census of 1901 is not on online, but is expected to come online starting in December this year. You can order the census films from the LDS but you'd need to know what townland your man was in...

Regarding the Worcestershire Regiment: according to the Regiments.Org website, the 1st Battalion was in Ireland from 1903 to 1907. The 2nd was in South Africa, and the 3rd was in Ireland, Tipperary, from Feb 1901 until their return to England in 1904. So, if your man was in the third battalion, he would have been in the Irish Census of 1901.

The look-up for Edmund Turner may get an answer if you post it in the England look-ups forum (assuming he was in England?)

Leofric

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901? Census Lookup
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 06 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply  :)

If the Helen/Ellen Carleton late Turner nee Armstrong I've found in 1901 England census is the right girl, she was born in Ireland, so her father could be in Ireland or England, no idea  :-\

Will certainly lookup Tipperary census when its available though, as it doesn't appear he was in the UK.

Thanks again
Catherine  :)
(am (im)patiently waiting for Claude's birth certificate to arrive at the moment!)
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov