Author Topic: Completed with thanks Church of England Cemetery Leeton NSW  (Read 3118 times)

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Completed with thanks Church of England Cemetery Leeton NSW
« on: Friday 18 August 06 21:07 BST (UK) »
My Great Uncle Andrew Edwin Noden died on the 9th September, 1929 at Leeton New South Wales after a farming accident.  He was buried at the Church of England Cemetery Leeton on the 11th September, 1929 after an Inquest.  He had only been married in 1928.  I would like to know how to find out whether there is a monument to him in the cemetery, and if so, if it is possible to get a picture of it please.

Cathy :'(
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Church of England Cemetery Leeton NSW
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 August 06 00:49 BST (UK) »

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~ccam/index.html

Hi Cathy,
A search of the above site confirms your info as follows
Noden. Andrew. Edwin
[Service]Army. [number given]
birth date 1890.
Birth place Newcastle.
Death 1929, NSW.

They offer an email contact as well as  mailing address for inquiries.
Good Luck
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 August 06 01:00 BST (UK) »

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Items_listing.asp?S=1&F=1&O=0&T=I&C=27

I hope this link will take you to a digitised copy of his ww1 service history. Sometimes don't work!!!
It shows among other interesting things, has farm address in Leeton and his father's farm addresss in England. As well as his comings and goings in service.[click- view...]
If the link won't work for you, let us know and we will give you 'the long way' to get to it.
S

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 06 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Sparrett,

Thank you very much for your suggestions and help.  I had managed to find Andrew's service record - was thrilled when I came upon it, so much information.  I have been on the site re: Leeton cemetery - interestingly he was known as 'Ted'  I had an Uncle (nephew of Andrew) who was also known as 'Ted.'  I have contacted the site to see if they can help me re: the photograph.  Interestingly they have him as being born in Newcastle N.S.W. he was actually born in Newcastle Staffordshire United Kingdom.
Many thanks
:)

Cathy
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 August 06 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Cathy,
It is ofen small  things like the error you have found in his birth- place, Newcastle which make all the difference to following a family history.  It is easy to get 'put off' the trail by slips like that.    I'm glad things are looking hopeful in your search.
There are many Aust. Chatters with extensive resources, so do keep your search going if you are searching for marriages and children etc.
Sue

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 August 06 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue and greetings to all Australian Chatters.

I have been very fortunate with my Great Uncle, I know that he married in 1928 and died in 1929 and have now received the relevant certificates.  He did not have any children.  I have just put in the address off his service record in Australia and it would appear the farm concerned was part of the Sun Rice group.  I have requested some information from Leeton Library concerning newspaper reports of his death and they are very kindly going to send them to me within the next 10 days or so. I knew very little about him until six weeks ago - the internet is an amazing place. I have a lot of information about his brothers and sisters in England, (his sister was my grandmother).  He lost a brother in the first World War and his remaining brothers all farmed locally to me, and I met them when I was a little girl.

This is a great site, I love being a part of it.

Thanks again.

Cathy :) :) :)

Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Completed with thanks Church of England Cemetery Leeton NSW
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 October 06 11:22 BST (UK) »
Just an update.  I contacted the Leeton Council who put me in touch with the Leeton Library.  I received the articles out of the newspaper on my Great Uncle's death and inquest.  Someone in the Leeton Historical Society has provided me with a photograph of Great Uncle Andrew's grave in Leeton cemetery and much, much, more.  Thanks to everyone who has helped me in this journey.

Cathy ;D
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden