Author Topic: Blackford Howe?  (Read 3538 times)

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Blackford Howe?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 August 06 00:33 BST (UK) »
I called into Ellingham church this evening and had a look for any Witts. In the "old" section there were 2 obvious stones- one was to John Witt, died 1735 and the other had several names including Ambrose and Mary Witt, from the early 19th cent. It was getting a bit dark but I go by there 2 or 3 times a day!
Fred.

Offline siobhank13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 19:47 BST (UK) »
Fred,

Had a check through the Ellingham parish registers, can't find Ann, but did find a James Witt, illegitimate son of John & Elizabeth Witt of Blashford (1823 I think).  Perhaps a brother ?

Had a search through Ringwood, but could only find an Ann Witt in 1804, daughter of John Witt. No other info recorded.

Perhaps this is her and she got her age wrong on all of the census returns? Maybe she thought she was younger than she really was?

Siobhán
Hampshire: Faulkner, Cousens, Jerrim, Newman
Wiltshire :   King, Newman, Strugnell, Shirville
Dorset :      Austin, Griffen, Fall
London :     Mears, Hendle, Carman, Bracker, Carter
Limerick :    Kennedy, Devan(e)y
Norfolk:       Hills, Dives, Grimmer, Cossey
Ayr :            Gibson, Key, Dickie

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, she could have been born in Ringwood- the hamlet of Blashford is a straggle along the main Salisbury Road on the boundary of the 2 parishes. Ringwood town is only a mile down the road.

The Witts buried in Ellingham churchyard don't seem to help much at this point, but what I could see was as follows:

"To the memory of Mary, the wife of Ambrose Witt who departed this life in the year 1799 aged 55 years. And the above named Ambrose Witt who died August 1st, 1825 aged 83 years.Also Elsie Bessant who died May 7th 1836(?) aged 31(?) years. And of Mary Witt died June 25 1837 aged ?6yrs."

The next stone (ie surely related) said:" John Witt who died Dec the ?? 1755 (not 1735!) aged 5? years." I'll see if I can see anything in Ringwood church, either Witt or Faulkner- trouble is most ordinary folks didn't have stones. i'll put them on my list of things to think about.
Fred