Offline daveanpat

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • The latest stowe thomas
    • View Profile
linux?
« on: Sunday 20 August 06 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
   Has anybody out there tried useing Linux? If so what is it like ? I am downloading  SUSE- Linux at the moment.

David
Stowe/Stow oxfordshire and Warwickshire--Sortwell anywhere--Tennant Warwickshire--Everitt Northants and Crowland --Stevens Devon --Savage Islington --Flower London ---Bailey Romford -- Marett  Jersey  -- Rawlings Bristol -- Bray Bristol -- Allen Uny lelant (devon) -- Gibbens Abingdon -- Belcher Long Wittingham -- Hart Hackney --

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: linux?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 August 06 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi daveanpat

Yes.

It's complicated and fiddly.  Unless you are fairly computer literate you will have a lot of problems trying to get devices to work.

On the plus side it is more stable, efficient and secure than Windows and many of the worlds web servers use Linux because of that.  Linux is the homemade version of Unix which has been around since the 1960's.  It was manily a command line operating system in those days but they have tried to make it more user friendly by adding a GUI interface.  Because it is homemade and free there have been a lot of problems in getting commercial comapanies to divulge their various drivers that are needed to get devices like monitors, disk drives and CDROMS to work.

It has become more user-friendly and easier to use but it is not for the computer novice.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daveanpat

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • The latest stowe thomas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 06 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Downside
                       Thanks a lot.I think I will leave well alone then!

Cheers   David
Stowe/Stow oxfordshire and Warwickshire--Sortwell anywhere--Tennant Warwickshire--Everitt Northants and Crowland --Stevens Devon --Savage Islington --Flower London ---Bailey Romford -- Marett  Jersey  -- Rawlings Bristol -- Bray Bristol -- Allen Uny lelant (devon) -- Gibbens Abingdon -- Belcher Long Wittingham -- Hart Hackney --

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 August 06 21:30 BST (UK) »
It's complicated and fiddly.  Unless you are fairly computer literate you will have a lot of problems trying to get devices to work.

Not necessarily, most distros have the drivers available for just about everything the average user would need unless the equipment is really esoteric in which case I doubt if even windows would have a generic driver.
Regarding using Suse Linu have a look at

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1751.

If you want to try linux without any permanent effect on your windows set up,try Knoppix which boots and runs from a CD without affecting the hard drive.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 August 06 23:56 BST (UK) »
I guess if you do buy a 'fairly esoteric' plugin piece of hardware then it will probably have a CDROM with the drivers on it - only they probably will not be written for Linux.  You may then have to search the web to see if any kind soul has decided to write some drivers for this bit of kit - unless you are capable of writing your own.  :)

I doubt if there is going to be an exodus to Linux even if it is free.

downside

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 August 06 09:17 BST (UK) »
be careful your prejudice is showing  ;)

Linux is more stable,faster (on the same equipment) and far more secure than windows .... as regards drivers for equipment it is easier to get Linux drivers than it is to get drivers for some versions of windows ....

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 August 06 11:34 BST (UK) »
I have no objections to Linux - I've been working in a Unix environment for many years and I am well aware of its advantages over Windows.

I haven't used Linux for a while now.  I did install Mandrake a few years ago but I couldn't get the internal modem to work (amongst other things).  If you cannot connect to the Internet then the attractions of Linux diminsh pretty fast.  The other disadvantages are the type and range of software available for Linux.

I guess I could have a look at the newer versions and see what has changed.

Having had a preliminary look at the download and install porcedures I can see that newbies will be easily deterred from trying it.

I'm slightly mystified about the Knoppix release.  I'm not sure how that works.  All operating systems need to write to the hard drive - logs etc.  What are the security implications of an operating system that can be booted on any PC?  Presumably it is storing files on a hard drive somewhere.  I can't see how you can do anything productive with a system that runs from a CD.  It's probably misleading to believe that it takes up no space on a PC hard drive.  It would probably slow to operate as well as it is limited to the speed of the CDROM.

downside

Offline xrchris

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 August 06 16:47 BST (UK) »
Having had a preliminary look at the download and install porcedures I can see that newbies will be easily deterred from trying it.

I'm slightly mystified about the Knoppix release.  I'm not sure how that works.  All operating systems need to write to the hard drive - logs etc.  What are the security implications of an operating system that can be booted on any PC?  Presumably it is storing files on a hard drive somewhere.  I can't see how you can do anything productive with a system that runs from a CD.  It's probably misleading to believe that it takes up no space on a PC hard drive.  It would probably slow to operate as well as it is limited to the speed of the CDROM.

downside

To be fair a Newbie would have as many problems getting to grips with Linux as they would with Windows or Mac OSX.

I knew nothing about Linux 5 months ago but managed to install Ubuntu Linux and configure it myself and it use it much more than Windows now. Yes it took a bit of perseverance but was no harder than learning Windows for the first time.

As for the LiveCD (Ubuntu and many distros use these nowadays) it does not install to the hard drive and is generally used to test a system for compatibility issues BEFORE you decide to install. They are not really designed to be used on a permanent basis.
<b>England</b><br />Hants - Beagley<br />Devon - Ley And Earl<br />Middx - Griffiths, Champion and Earl <br />Essex - Harris and Champion<br />London - Busby, Fowler & MacDonald<br />Berks/Oxfordshire - Brown & Somers
<b>Scotland</b><br />Inverness - MacDonald & McIntosh

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." Rich Cook

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 August 06 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi xrchris

I'm glad to hear someone has managed to get it working.  I've just wasted a day trying to install Mandrake 9.1 from an old CD and guess what?  Yes, I can't get my USB modem to work (surprise, surprise).

It says my USB keyboard and mouse are not recognised but they both mysteriously work. 

On the plus side I've managed to get my USB printer to work and the sound works (that's a first).

Without an Internet connection it is worthless so I guess I'll have to waste a bit more time trying to sort it out but I am not optimistic.

Good old Windows - you shove a CD in and manage to get something working straight away.  :D

downside