Author Topic: Illegitimate birth  (Read 34364 times)

Offline Silas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate birth
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 12:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda - so it is a house now, bet it's lovely.  Wonder who Louise Clarkson is who was also in there?  My late gran was a Lucy Clarkson born 1883 - so right age - wonder if it was her because I cannot find her on the 1901 census - could possibly have been an error, but won't chance that in case I'm wrong.
Harrison, Clarkson, Tyzack, Margerrison, Wigglesworth

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 14:12 BST (UK) »
I wondered if Joseph and Emily stayed together, so had a look on freebmd and there is a Vera Wigglesworth, mothers maiden name of Clarkson born in 1911 in the registration district of Hemsworth.  If Joseph was the culprit, I wonder if Emily forgave him or stayed with him through necessity!!!

I wonder if the reason we can't find Joseph and Emily on the 1901, is because Joseph was in hiding from a load of male Clarkson's ;D

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 14:22 BST (UK) »
If you look for Clarkson and Wigglesworth potential marriages in FreeBMD you get a surprising number - not all of which with four couples on each page will be Clarkson and Wigglesworth, but I had noticed the Hemsworth marriage because that is the only other example of Wigglesworth as a middle name in FreeBMD for a birth.

Marriages Jun 1910
CLARKSON  Ada Alice     Hemsworth  9c 244   
Wigglesworth  Tom     Hemsworth  9c 244

Births Jun 1910
CLARKSON  John Wigglesworth    Hemsworth  9c 194
Births Jun 1910
WIGGLESWORTH  John    Hemsworth  9c 194

I hadn't mentioned it because of all the other possible Clarkson Wigglesworth marriages. Wigglesworth was/is obviously a more popular surname than I thought.

Regards

Valda

Offline Silas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 15:31 BST (UK) »
Kath - don't think from what I recollect as a young child that they stayed together - don't ever remember Emily having a husband, unless he died young.  You could be right about the male Clarksons hunting him down - he probably fled the country !!

Offline Silas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 15:32 BST (UK) »
Valda - now going to look at the Hemsworth marriage, etc that you gave.  Thank you.

Offline Silas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda and Kath.  Am wondering if Emily went back to her maiden name, as there is an Emily Clarkson on the 1901 census, born Wetherby - same area as Boston Spa and she is classed as a lodger - just a guess, she's the right age.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 18:29 BST (UK) »
I can't see an obvious candidate for her on the 1891 or 1881 censuses, but Kath's local knowledge will be better than mine.

Do you remember Emily having children? What was her surname when you or your cousins remembered her?

If you do think Joseph is worth pursuing then the only way we will know anything about him and find him on censuses seems to be if you obtain Emily and Joseph's marriage details and we track him from that information.

Regards

Valda

Offline Silas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 21:12 BST (UK) »
Emily was my grandmother's (Lucy Clarkson) sister on my mother's side.  I never remember her having children and only remember her living alone.  I do not know what her surname was - she was just Great Aunt Emily.  Think, as you say it is a question of her marriage certificate to Joseph - unless of course Kath can come up with anything.  Thank you for all your help.

Silas.

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 21:34 BST (UK) »
Emily is living with her parents in 1881 and her father in 1891.

There is a possible candidate for Joseph on the 1891 living in Castleford, whom I can't see on the 1901, but I agree with Valda, Emily and Josephs marriage details would provide the necessary info.

I think the Emily you found Silas is a very likely candidate, as you say Wetherby, is close to Boston Spa and of course the family were living there in 1891.

Regards, Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston