Author Topic: Illegitimate birth  (Read 34374 times)

Offline Silas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate birth
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Valda and Kath for all your help. Agree, it will have to be Emily and Joseph's marriage details - I'm going cross-eyed trawling through pages of info.  Thank you both again.

Silas
Harrison, Clarkson, Tyzack, Margerrison, Wigglesworth

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 22:22 BST (UK) »
I obviously didn't make myself clear - sorry. I meant if it wasn't your Emily on the 1901 census but a never married Emily Clarkson I couldn't see a candidate for her on earlier censuses. I could see Emily the daughter of Reuben on the 1881 and 1891 census, but I didn't have sufficient local knowledge to know whether any of the other potential Emily Clarksons might be the 1901 woman. I didn't think however there was an obvious candidate from the previous censuses for a completely unmarried Emily Clarkson in 1901.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Silas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 22:31 BST (UK) »
Valda - it is possible that is Emily on the 1901 census, but still think I need a marriage certificate.  Can't be 100% sure it is her though.  Would love to know the full story about all this !!  Thank you again.

Silas

Offline Silas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 24 August 06 15:37 BST (UK) »
Valda and Kath - have just found the marriage certificate of Emily's sister Lucy (my gran) dated 1904.  On it Emily is a witness and signs herself Emily CLARKSON, so she must have reverted to her maiden name.

Silas

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 25 August 06 07:49 BST (UK) »
That is interesting - so if Emily was married to Joseph Wigglesworth, then Emily has totally disassociated herself by reverting back to her maiden name, then I would say he is probably the likely culprit, as I couldn't see Emily and Joseph parting because of what his brother had done!!!!!

I said if Emily was married to Joseph, because as yet there is only the marriage registration and I hope it is your Emily, but of course you can't be certain.

But what an interesting story, I'm sure it was dreadful for poor Emily though.

Regards,

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston

Offline Silas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 28 October 06 12:17 BST (UK) »
I know this was a long time ago that this query was brought to the board, but thought I would give all who helped me here an update - I now have Emily's marriage certificate and she was married to Joseph Wigglesworth and he was Ellen's father by Emily's sister Fanny.  Poor Emily, seems she was only married 3 months when Fanny her sister became pregnant by him.

Silas

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 28 October 06 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Silas,

Thank you for the update, it is nice to know the outcome.

Gosh, no wonder Emily reverted back to her maiden name, what a  :-X Joseph was.

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 29 October 06 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Silas where does this get us in the hunt for which Joseph Wigglesworth it was?
Have you found him on earlier censuses from the information about his father given on the marriage certificate?

Regards

Valda

Offline Silas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 29 October 06 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Valda - haven't started looking for that yet.  His father was Richard Wigglesworth - occupation glassblower, and one of the witnesses to the marriage was an Alice Wigglesworth.  Will get to work on that.

Silas