Author Topic: Tutorial: how to Make a Montage  (Read 28792 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial: how to Make a Montage
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 August 06 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Joy

The cutting out and checking on black and white backgrounds is for hard edged images. I didn't use that at all in the one I did - used feathering and just drew around the bits I wanted on my graphics tablet. I used a vey large transparent backgound 'canvas' and then experimented with sizing, selecting parts, transparency, etc - each image as separate layers. Moved them around both 2- (position on that layer) and 3- dimensionally (layer levels), and 'played' until I got what I wanted. This is the same approach as I use when making 'traditional' collages, paintings and mixed media works in my studio.

In the workshops, my students really had fun and got very messy but that's all part of the fun  :D

Creativity is about playing like a kid (ref Picasso) and I just ain't never grown up   ;D ;D ;D

You can also crop the canvas to get just the parts that you feel make the best total image.

Have a good trip. I'm off travelling soon as well.

Gadget  :)

PS- you should see some of my mixed media installations - take up large rooms  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 August 06 16:51 BST (UK) »
Gadget
I envy you your talent, and knowledge re photo manipulation. I wish I had a chance to attend any workshop, but my work, the distance and the fact that no-one where I am has a clue about any of this.
So far I do not have a graphics tablet, must check on-line for one I can afford.
I love the pic you have placed for your profile. Can I see a large copy of it.
So far, no matter what I have done I have not managed to place a pic for my profile. A headache to be sure.
Right now I am concentration on my forthcoming trip to the UK and all the headaches in entails.
Again thanks
Joy
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 August 06 17:33 BST (UK) »
Don't worry Joy. You just play at your own speed. Creativity shouldn't be a worry. Just have confidence. You do need to be confident with Photoshop mind.

There's a slightly bigger - and paler version of my avatar on my website Joy. The original could print out to A1/A0. I've also done a 'places' one. These are just old photos (changed relative sizes, etc) to make them look like a scrap book/icon.

http://some-ancestors.rootschat.net/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 August 06 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info I tried typing in the web address that you gave  me but message could not be found.
Do not worry about my not having confidence. I try most things and usually succeed. My trials might not always be perfect but at least I try.
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 August 06 03:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry Joy - I mistyped the url. I've now put the correct one in so you can just click on it.

If you're happy using Photoshop, then give it a go. I'd love to see your results  :)

Gadget

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 August 06 03:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks interesting stuff. I love your profile pic. This is what I want to achieve time allowing and my body does not fall apart.
Short time now and I will be on my way to England to collect many family pics, so will work trial or error to do this.
I use photoshop and pspro, but do not understand this yet.
I just came to grips with photoshop( at least a little)
I read some of your info today, great stuff. I read in the car on my way to wherever, taking a break and just 'destressing'
Really interesting for me.
Joy
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 August 06 07:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry I’ve been a while, I’m trying to do too many things at the same time. Anyhow here is the next phase in your montage.
   Preparing the background.
     There may be more work to do yet on the individual pic’s, but they can wait for a while. If we make a background at least we can gain some encouragement in seeing something of where we are going.

Now the background can be a work of art or simply a single picture where we wish to place our smaller ones – shown is one I have just made up, this is itself a montage of the Isle of Rhum - Scotland, Cottesloe -W.A. and a text layer.

The main thing when creating your background is resolution. You must make a decision now as to how big will be the biggest print you make for it or if for a webpage what size do you wish it to appear on the screen. Multiply maximum printing size in inches by 300, so if your final print is going to be 36” x24” your background has to be a huge 10,800pixels by 7,200pixels or 222megabytes for a single layer. I know few people will work on this size but that example is just a warning of how big these files can get –and it’s still only the background. If you are doing a montage for the net then you have a much easier time ahead. Decide on your size (usually but not necessarily screen size) and multiply by 72 to get your final canvas size.

Irrespective of how you do your background make sure that it is finished and then if it is layered save a copy of the layered file as a backup if needed later, then flatten your working copy and save it as such. If I am working on a big file I usually also reduce the resolution to my screen size and save that one as well. So I now have three background images, 1-fullsize and fully layered (hopefully I won’t need this one again but it is here in case of either a stuff up or a change of plan: 2-a full sized and flattened image (my actual background): and 3, a screen sized copy (this is to experiment with different layouts)

Next we shall go back to our individual pic's

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Online newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 August 06 12:15 BST (UK) »
I've just found this topic, I've spent the last week trying to do just this!  I saw Gadgets work for Keith earlier and thought it was just fantastic, and I love her montage's on her web site.
Having completed part 1 and 2 of my photoshop course I thought I would have a go, but my attempt was I think totally different, using layers, I opened each picture, cropped or resized as I wanted and then dragged onto the background layer, closed the original and then opened another and just repeated, moving and placing on the background.  as Gadget says it's a very personal choice as to layout and what looks pleasing, and using negative space, which is more difficult I find, I wanted one that I could use my mother's picture on turning down the opacity as the background - does that make sense? but I'm still playing, so will print off the topic and have another go! then I thought I'll do one of the daughters wedding! I hadn't thought of feathering etc. soft and hard edges, so thank you Gadget and Denn for all the tips, I'm off for the next try..... still aiming for something like Keiths and Gadget's!
Newbie :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 18 August 06 12:50 BST (UK) »
Just give a shout, newbie, if you need any help. Varying the opacity/transparency can give great effects. And I do like your reference to negative space - the space between is what makes or breaks an image  :)

Woud love to see your work.

Gadget :)