Author Topic: The Harris Family from Ringwood, Hants - Victorian Photo Collection  (Read 7176 times)

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Harris Family from Ringwood, Hants - Victorian Photo Collection
« on: Monday 21 August 06 16:39 BST (UK) »
Just got the certs I ordered on the basis of the scant information provided in the mystery Victorian Photo Album : The Harris Collection:

http://victorian-photos.rootschat.net/page14/page14.html *link broken, new link found
http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pruesfamily/page14/page14.html
Mrs Edward Brickell Harris died aged 33 years from Heart disease on 12/3/1866 at ?? Poulner, Ringwood - Husband Edward Harris was a Civil Engineer. Informant Eliza Hearthedge

And Marriage Cert: His name is wrong in Indexes -

Her husband was Edward Brickell Harris of full age Engineer, father Daniel Harris a Leather Merchant. She was Ellen Slater, of full age, daughter of Edward Slater an upholsterer. A witness was Leonard Harris (presumably a brother) and Emily Maple (her best friend?) Married by licence in the Parish Church Hampstead.

I hope that this gives a bit more to go on.

Tjapaltjarri 

Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The Harris Victorian Photo Collection
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 August 06 18:50 BST (UK) »
 Daniel and Mary's Children can be found on the censuses:-

----------------------------------------------------------

William Newman Harris bpt 23/4/1817 can be found on the 51,61,71,81 & 91 censuses
He was a currier. the following children are recorded:
William b 1842/3, Benjamin b 1846/7 and Edward b 1848/9 in Bermonsey, Surrey and Daniel T/J? b 1857/8 and Emma b 1859/60 b Camberwell, Surrey.

By 1871 William and Sarah have moved to Brighton, Sussex and by 1881/91 to Rottingdean, Sussex

Herbert Daniel Harris bpt 19/3/1823 can be found on 51,61,71,81 & 91 censuses.

Herbert and his family seem to have a particular connection with the album in that in 1871 he was living at Waggons on the West Road from Tonbridge and in 1881 at Bounders Park just down from the Rectory.

It is his second wife Caroline who is the recipient of the (presumably blank album) in 1876 and it was probably purchased at the souvenir shop at " High Rocks" by Miss Burry.

He married firstly Harriet Hollamby (Decqtr 1849 Tonbridge 5/677) and had a daughter Mary born 1850 at Southborough, Kent. He married secondly Caroline in the June quarter 1854 (Maidstone 2a/600) and had children Herbert Stephen b 1855/6 Leonard Hugh 1857/8 Arthur Frederick 1858/9 Katherine Sophia 1863/4 Frank 1865/6 Edward 1867/8 (seen in photo aged 15 years in 1883) and Ernest 1870 all born Tonbridge Kent.

In 1871 he had his widowed mother-in-law Sophia Hollanby living with him.

Caroline Harris died aged 64 years in Sept Quarter 1888 (Tonbridge 2a/310)

In 1891 he is retired and living with his unmarried son Frank at Waghornes farm, Bidborough who is working as a Surveyor on the High Road to Tonbridge.

Leonard Harris bpt 29/4/1825 can be found on 61,71,81,91 censuses

He married Elizabeth Wall b 1834/5 Old Kent Road, Surrey and worked as a currier eventually settling in Norwood.
His children were Grace Harris b 1863/4 and Lucy Harris b 1867/8 b London (Msx?) and Annie M 1869/70, Leonard 1872/3 Elizabeth 1877/8 and Oliver/Horace M 1877/8 born Lambeth Surrey.

Mary (N) Harris bpt 19/3/1819 at Ringwood married in the Isle of Wight and can be found in the 1881 census.
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 August 06 19:02 BST (UK) »
I've just looked on the IGI and re-checked the cert and see that it was Daniel Harris that is Edward Harris's father and not David as I noted above (and have subsequently changed)!

the batch number is C150561

Tjapaltjarri

Edward Harris baptised at Ringwood 30/3/1827

William Newman Harris son of Daniel and Mary Harris bpt 23/4/1817

Herbert 1823, Emma 1821, Mary 1819 and Leonard 1825.

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 August 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
I've just looked on Genes Reunited and there are a host of people with a Ringwood origin Harris family in their trees lol

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The Harris Family from Ringwood, Hants - Victorian Photo Collection
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 August 06 12:54 BST (UK) »
Mary Newman Harris bpt 19/3/1819 married Daniel A Good June qtr 1842 on the Isle of Wight. Mary N Good later moved to Wiltshire.

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 08:01 BST (UK) »
Could these refer to Ellen Slater's parents, Edward Slater, upholsterer and Mary Ann Slater

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/html_units/1820s/t18250113-140.html

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/html_units/1820s/t18230514-66.html

Tjapaltjarri

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 August 06 11:18 BST (UK) »
Re Ellen Slater b 1832/3 married Edward Brickell Harris in Hampstead in 1857

Ellen Slater's parents were Edward Salter an upholsterer and Mary Ann Slater his wife. Neither parent was born in Middlesex; they were both aged 40 to 44 years of age at the time of the 1841 census.

Ellen's siblings were Henry Slater b 1817-21 not Middlesex, Emma Slater b  1828/9 Msx, Fanny Slater b 1834/5 Msx and Louisa Slater b 1835/6 Msx. By 1841 they had moved from Kensington and were living at Sutton Rd, in the parish of Heston, Middlesex.  the reference is HO 107 / 658 / 2 page 13v

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 April 10 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hello, there is an old Bicknell name in Ringwood, different to your spelling but may help when you check through your records  Regards

Offline caliope

• RootsChat Member
  • Roots in UK, Ger, Nor, Swed, Cherokee, we're Muts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 January 14 00:34 GMT (UK) »
I realize this is an older thread, but I'm just going to throw this out there:

I am trying to discover the parents of Daniel Harris who settled in the Redlynch/Downton area in Wiltshire.  According to census material, he was born about 1813-1816.  I suspect he could be the son of Daniel Harris and Mary Newman who were married 28 Sep 1810, Salisbury, Wiltshire.

The following was published in the The Salisbury And Winchester Journal and General Advertiser of Wilts, Hants, Dorset, and Somerset:

"WHEREAS the Partnership carried on by JAMES HARRIS and DANIEL HARRIS, under the Firm of Messrs. James and Daniel Harris, of the city of New Sarum, in the county of Wilts, Curriers, was this day DISSOLVED. by mutual consent :-Notice is therefore given, that the said business will in future be carried on by the said James Harris, at New Sarum aforesaid; and that all debts due to the said concern, are to be paid to and settled with the said James Harris, on or before the 20th day of October instant.- As witness our hand, this 2d day of October,1812.
JAMES HARRIS.
DANIEL HARRIS.
Witness, THOMAS WILMOT"

Daniel and Mary (Newman) HARRIS had the following children:

Ann: born 11 Oct 1811, chr: 6 Nov 1811, St. Edmunds, Salisbury, Wilts.
Benjamin Franklin: born 20 Nov 1813, chr: 25 Dec 1813, St. Thomas, Salisbury, Wilts.
Joseph Marsh: born 30 Jun 1815, chr: 7 Jul 1815, St. Thomas, Salisbury, Wilts.

Then the family disappears from Wiltshire.

Not sure if this is the same guy, but find it interesting that the aforementioned Daniel was a currier, and it was previously mentioned that William Newman Harris was also a currier.  It is also interesting that William's middle name is Newman, and Mary's maiden name is Newman. It makes me wonder: Did they marry in Salisbury, dissolve the business, and move to Ringwood?

To add to my curiosity is that *my* Daniel Harris married Ann MUSSELL 21 May 1836 at St. Laurence, Downton, Wiltshire.  All their children were christened there, and there's quite a bit of info out there regarding this family, but this is the first time Daniel is mentioned in Downton/Redlynch.  If I remember right, he ran the Redlynch postal service.  He is even missing from the 1841 census in Wiltshire (his wife, Ann, and their children are found Church Tything, Downton and they have a police constable there along with a nurse/nanny ), BUT I DO find a Daniel Harris (c.1816) in St. Mary's Parish, Southampton, no idea why, job training???

Every census after that he is supposedly born c1813, but I think he's fudging on his age a little bit to be closer to his wife's age (Ann was chr. 25 Jan 1813).  His burial record states that he was 86 when he died 8 Mar 1899 confirming an age closer to the 1816 time-frame.  And he would fit nicely after Joseph Marsh and before William Newman.

It just seems like, this HAS to be the right family, but I feel like I'm grasping at straws out of desperation.  Also I need to mention that the woman in picture 29, her eyes look like my grandma's.  Really.  The resemblance is uncanny. 

Anyone out there able to link *my* Daniel HARRIS to this Daniel HARRIS and Mary NEWMAN, and confirm any of my speculations?
ALDEN, BISHOP, BLISS, BOOKER, BOYCE, BUCHHOP, COLLINS, CROUCH, DANNENBERG, DAVIS, ELM, EATON, FLOYD, GRAMBLIN, GRAMBLING, GAMLING, HALSEY, HARRIS, HOGLE, HOSIER, JACKLIN, JACOBSON, JONES, LANGFORD, LLOYD, NEWSTEAD, PEIFER, PINDER, PIERCE, POTTER, RANDOLPH, SANDERSON, SCHWEINHAGEN, SEVERSON, SHEARING, SHEARSMITH, SPRINGSTROH, STEPHENSON, STEWARD, SUCH, TAYLOR, WALKLETT, WELLS, WIECHERS, WINCHESTER, WOODCOCK