Author Topic: ACFORD Family  (Read 12493 times)

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ACFORD Family
« on: Monday 21 August 06 23:36 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the the Acford family from Appledore/Bideford/Plymouth.

William MALLETT Acford--- Born Appledore 1872--Died1921 at Exeter.
Parents: William Mallett Acford and Catherine Bevan Griffith.... children: William Mallett b1872...David Griffith b1875--Robert b1880...Sarah Ann b1868...............possible Henry G b1871

Marriages of William Mallett b1872:
 1895- 1907 Betsey Tawton Cole. Appledore
 1907- 1918 Eliza Jane Eddy(nee Thomas) in St Just.
 1920-1921 Martha L Lilley, Exeter.

Children born to Elizabeth Jane thomas, at Bideford ( 2nd wife):
Janie Thomas Acford b1908- Nicholas George Acford B1909 -- Robert Mallett Acford B1911-- Kitty Acford b1913--- Elizabeth A  b1916---Elsie Bevan b1917-----unconfirmed Leonara M  b1915---Bernard T Acford b1918.

Both Nicolas and Robert were in Gibbs Home/Orphanage, Cardiff, where they did their Naval Training...both married in Plymouth 1947.

Possible children to first wife Betsy Cole Tawton: Wilfred and William John.

Ambers
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline Dorothy Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Acford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 January 10 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I have just joined RootsChat today and found your mention of the Acford family from Appledore/Bideford/Plymouth.  William Mallett Acford born 1872 in Appledore is on the ancestral tree I am working on for my family.  As well as marriages to Betsy, Eliza and Martha, I seem to have found details of a marriage to a Tryphena Colwill about 1918 in Bideford.  I have picked up this information but now cannot find my source.  (I am quite old.)  Do you have any information about this?

Also, one outstanding mystery concerns Henry Manship Acford born Appledore 1807.   He was a mariner.   He married Sarah Ann Mallett (1811-1896).  Sarah was married but alone for the 1851 census and was listed as 'widow' for the 1861 census.   I have never been able to find details of his death.  Perhaps he drowned at sea?   Any information please?

One last item.   You list in the Cornish Section the name TREBILCOCK.  I knew a Trebilcock family at Ivy House, Mitchell, Summercourt, Cornwall.   Any ties there?

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Acford
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 January 10 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy,

You have answered a Thread I posted on here many years ago before  I had met you  ;D ;D and we then became friends via our joint hobby of re-searching the Acfords.

I emailed you this morning regarding Trephena Colwill being married to my STEP ggrand dad...I haven't found any proof.

We have never mentioned the Trebilcock family in our re-search before.

I have Norman Trebilcock  marrying in 1902 to Mary Reynolds b1869 and living in Colan Cornwall in the 1901...his father was George Stribley Trebilcock a Shoemaker.
The Witnesses were my Nicholas Thomas and Elizabeth Hocking Eddy.

Ambers
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline dacorum-girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ACFORD Family
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 10 01:18 GMT (UK) »
If you are researching the Acfords in Bideford have you come across William Acford bapt 1808 son of Robert and Catherine and married in Bideford in 1831 to Elizabeth Chappell Trick.
As far as I can work out he was an only child. His mother appears to have remarried a Richard Passmore in 1831.
It confused me to bits to find that William had a grandson called Richard Passmore Acford, name in honour of a step-Gt Grandfather !

Any guidance finding Robert Acford would be greatly appreciated.
Have branches of research in Herts, Beds, BerksBucks and Oxon into 1500's. Main names of interest
Slough/Slow, Winder, Chessall, Keep

Offline Dorothy Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 January 10 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello,  ROBERT ACFORD 1784-1827 married Catherine Harris who, when widowed, married Richard Passmore 1784-1833.   As far as I can tell, Robert and Catherine had a son, William born 1808 who married a Charlotte born 1810.  William and Charlotte's son, William Acford 1835-1882, married Eliza Sage born 1835.  I have their children listed as: John S. b 1855; William 1857-1934; Eliza b 1860; Richard b 1864; Caroline b 1866; Elizabeth 1869-1951; Charles b 1872; Mary I b 1875, and Florence b 1879.

Robert born 1784 was, I believe, the brother of Henry Acford 1775-1860; Sarah b 1776; Mary 1777-1779; William b 1779; Richard 1781-1866; and John b 1783.

Robert's parents were William Acford 1749-1819 and Sarah Veal 1754-1786.

I believe that William's parents were William Acford b 1730 and Elizabeth Pincombe b 1732.     All in Devon.  O.K?           Dorothy 

Offline dacorum-girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 January 10 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Dorothy

Thanks ever so much for that. With the later generations I agree with William's children and Eliza Sage etc but I have the following:-

1 William ACFORD
----------------------------------------
Death:   bef 1841
Occ:   Mason
Father:   Robert ACFORD (~1784-)
Mother:   Catherine HARRIS (1789-)

Spouse:   Elizabeth Chapell TRICK
Birth:   abt 1808
Father:   John TRICK (~1761-)
Mother:   Sarah CHAPELL
Marr:   12 Jun 1831, St Mary's, Bideford, Devon

Children:   Robert (Died as Infant)
   William (1834-1909)

1.1 William ACFORD
----------------------------------------
Birth:   1834, Bideford, Devon
Death:   1909, Neath Registration District, Glamorgan
Occ:   Bootmaker
Spouse:   Eliza SAGE

In 1841 William was living in Silver Street, Braunton with his aunt Catherine Passmore.
In 1861 & 1871 William & Eliza were living in Braunton, Devon.
In 1881 William was a quarryman liiving in Llewellyn Street, Aberavon, with his wife Eliza and children, John , Mary Jane & Florence.
In 1901 William was living in Llewellyn Street, Aberavon.

I haven't got any mention of a Charlotte, and the William born in 1835 definitely didn't die in 1882, as you can see from the 1901 census above.

I had assumed that Robert's parents were a William and Sarah, but I had no other detail, so your info was fantastic.

If you have anything that contradicts Elizabeth Chapell Trick then I would love to know so that I can correct my records.
Many thanks
Karen
Have branches of research in Herts, Beds, BerksBucks and Oxon into 1500's. Main names of interest
Slough/Slow, Winder, Chessall, Keep

Offline Dorothy Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,   thanks for reply.   I am confused and trying to sort out my paperwork.  I have William married to CHARLOTTE PASSMORE.  Could that explain the grandson's middle name?  I will keep looking for an answer.

Are you aware that Robert Acford's brother, RICHARD ACFORD 1781-1866, was married to Mary Beckway.  They had children: John Beckway 1816-1904; Mary Elizabeth 1820-1885;  Catherine 1825-1911; Robert b 1828; Clare 1836-1890, and Ellen b 1840.

Richard had military service (Duke of Wellington's battles).
1807 - December.   England.  Military.
1810 - September.  Portugal.  Peninsular War, Battle of Busaco.
1812 - July.             Spain.  Peninsular War, Battle of Salamanca. (Wounded in arm)
1814-  18 October.  England.  Private Richard Ackford,  11th Regiment of Foot          (North Devonshire) 1811-1814 - discharged.  CHELSEA PENSIONER.    Dorothy

Offline Dorothy Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 January 10 17:29 GMT (UK) »
For Attention of dacorum-girl.       I think I have found the answer to the problem. William Acford born 1779 was the son of William Acford born 1749 and Sarah Veal born 1754.  William junior  married Elizabeth Trick.  I have not looked for any children for them to date. 

William Acford who was the son of Robert (born 1784) and Catherine Harris married twice.   Firstly  to Charlotte Passmore, and secondly to Betsy Baghole.  This William and Betsy moved to Bristol and had 7 children.   

Does this help you?

Dorothy.  -  Hope this reaches you.  I am still learning the system.

Offline ricroker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
ACFORD Family
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Greetings Dorothy and co.
I have more info and amendments based on Devon RO and GRO records

Not all alternate spellings are necessarily to do with ones ancestors but I think these are

They do not line up !!
surname : first name : date baptised : father : mother :

Bideford                     
Christnings   sic                  Hackford   Henry   20 Nov 1774   William      Sarah   Hackford   Mary   7 Dec 1777   William      Sarah   Hackford   William   14 Nov 1779   William      Sarah   Hackford   Richard   12 Aug 1781   William      Sarah   Hackford   John   19 Apr 1783   William      Sarah   Hackford   Robert   27 Nov 1784   William      Sarah   Acford   Sarah   2 Jun 1776   William      Sarah   as IGI

Hackford   Henry   bp 20 Nov 1774   William      Sarah                     
   Atford   Elisabeth   27 Dec 1754   William   Elisabeth   

Ackford   William   bp 21 May 1749   William      Eliz.      in Huntshaw

Note Hackford and Atford

My computer is slow. I have a lot more including JMA 4 Marr and their previous husbands
I will email to Dorothy who emails me and she can forward email

Richard