Author Topic: Doherty & Seery Mariage 1800s  (Read 2723 times)

Offline GEORGE HIGHTON

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Doherty & Seery Mariage 1800s
« on: Tuesday 22 August 06 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for the marriage and children of John Doherty/Dougherty and Alice Seery who ended there lives in the Prescot Poor house and there children John circa 1835 Catherine c.1838 both Ireland Mary b.c.1842 &.Patrick c.1844 both born in Prescot only on one English census 1871 did there mention Longford hope someone can help

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Doherty & Seery Mariage 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello George,

What denomination were the Doherty / Dougherty and Seery families? Were they members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland), Methodists or members of the Presbyterian Church?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline GEORGE HIGHTON

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Doherty & Seery Mariage 1800s
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher
Don,t know what religeon they were Just asuming they were Protestants, but they could have been anything as it seems my Gr Grandmother had a torrid time worked in the mills of lancashire had a child before marrying my Gr. Grandfather (as Catherine Dougherty ) can,t find her son William who took the name Highton/Huyton
only on the 1871 Prescot census did they say born in Longford but I believe that Alice was an unusual first name in Longford Just going on census ages John would be b.1810/12 Alice 1809/11 the first child recorded John b.1835
so I,m asuming a marriage about 1832/6 so needle and haystack springs to mind the sad part they both died in the Prescot workhouse
Regards George