Author Topic: Marriage: St Mary Church, Blackburn  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Bram Taylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Marriage: St Mary Church, Blackburn
« on: Wednesday 23 August 06 02:20 BST (UK) »
I wonder if I could ask a big favour of anyone who frequents the Blackburn Record Office? I would like the details of the following marriage, parents etc?

John FISH m. Molinda HARGREAVES, 16 Apr 1838, St Mary, Blackburn.

I realise it is a big ask but it is a bit far from Australia to Blackburn :(
There may of course also be a later marriage of Molinda/Melinda Fish = Heys/Heyes in the same church about 1848?

Hope someone is passing that way, thanks in anticipation :)

Bram Taylor
Australia

Taylor, Baker, Milns, Bayley, Bailey, Evers, Shropshire.
Sewell, Prestidge, Northamptonshire.
Simpson, Mitchell, Edmondson, Slater, Abbott, West Riding Yorkshire.
Zelley, Eggleton, White, Lovell, Purchase, Dorset.
Neech, Suffolk, Norfolk.
Singleton, Surrey,
Eggleton, Buckingham/Surrey

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage: St Mary Church, Blackburn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Bram,

I double checked LancashireBMD for Melinda Fish to Joseph Hayes but the church is given as Eccles Parish St Mary's, Salford, date 1850, so it's doubtful that Blackburn will have the register for there.  Probably another request to be posted later after this one is sorted out.

Did you know that St Mary's is the Cathedral, rather impressive!

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

For the marriage in 1838 at St. Mary the Virgin,  Blackburn, father of John Fish was Matthew Fish and Molindas father was Christopher Hargreaves.

Sorry, I have not got any further details.

Mo

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 18:56 BST (UK) »
Wow Mo, we have been getting information from different places, which is great ....... if only I could read what I have.

Didn't want to say anything to you Bram in case I didn't manage to get there, but I was able to call into Blackburn Library on my way home this evening and got a copy of the entry of the Register but unfortunately it doesn't really give as much information as Mo has.  No fathers names were stated, nor ages and that was disappointing.

John Fish was a Bachelor and Grinder and Melinda was a Spinster.  Both signed their mark.

It was a really bad and faint fiche.  The really difficult part is the witnesses, one was Joseph Winbrither - from that you can tell it was illegible, the other looked like Thomas Livesey, which seems strange to me as I thought it would have been a lady.

If you will send me your email address in a pm it would be helpful.

I don't know if between us we've managed to give you as much information as you would get from the GRO certificate, or whether you will get their ages and also fathers occupations if you ordered it, that decision is for you to make.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 August 06 11:26 BST (UK) »
I have your pm with Hannah Fish's details on the 1871 census, this matches up to young Hannah in the 1841 census, except that you quote she is married, but in my opinion it reads unmarried, which makes more sense otherwise we'd be trying to figure out whether she was a daughter in law instead.  I'm still trying to figure out where she and Mary Ann are in 1851 and 1861, if with relatives they might have been incorrectly listed under a different name, but .......... try this for size!

Mary Ann Fish married in December qtr 1870 Blackburn, 8e 566, to either George Clarkson Gray or James Livesey.

Could this be a relative of the witness to the marriage of John and Melinda, although likely it would be a descendant since there is quite a number of years in between, it just seemed coincidental.

Having said that I'm not able to find a newly married couple with those names on the 1871 census, but of course it could be difficult if James had a previous marriage and they had children with them not matching up to the marriage date.  This is a possibility since Mary Ann would be over 30 if this was her.  There would be no way of confirming this except by the marriage cert to see if he was a widower.

Anyway, it's just a thought.

Offline Glenn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Here is the family in 1841:

HO107/503/5  F13 P15  Ewood ?Mill
Matthew FISH   50   Labourer in ?foundry
Ellen   50      
John FISH   25
Molinder   20
Mary Ann   3   
Hannah   8 mo

The parents in 1851:
F692 Ewood, Livesey
Matthew FISH   H   M   65   Handloom weaver   Lower Darwen
Ellen   W   M   67   Handloom weaver   Blackburn

John & Melinda/Molinder do not appear to have been in Darwen or Blackburn in 1851. Keep in mind that Ewood is about 0.5 mile north of the current Darwen/Blackburn boundary and that Lower Darwen (pre 1880-ish) included Ewood and reached about a mile or so into current Darwen to slightly south of St Cuthbert's Church [Junction of Earnsdale Rd and Blackburn Rd].

I have extensive data about Darwen FISHes and am happy to look through my files if given a specific question. I don't check this site very often and so a direct email is more reliable. I can be reached via:

gaataylor[at]blueyonder[dot]co[dot]uk

(provided you make the obvious substitutions for [at] and [dot] )

Regards,

Glenn Taylor

Offline xtonaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 November 06 14:35 GMT (UK) »
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/indexp.html

There arequite a number of records from St Mary's here

Good luck with your search
census records are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Harrison; Iddon; Jolly; Laithwaite; Livesey; Pilkington; Robinson; Shorrock ; Smith - Lancashire;  Boden; Morgan ;   - Shropshire/Montgomeryshire; Cragg ; Shepherd - Westmorland

Offline Bram Taylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 November 06 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

What a nice surprise to come home to! I have been away for a little while came home to find all this information waiting for me, thank you both for a fantastic job, I had just about given up on anymore information turning up.
Thanks Glenn and thanks xtonaud, your efforts are very much appreciated and have shed a lot more light on this part of my family.
Best wishes in your own research,

Regards,

Bram Taylor
Australia ;)
Taylor, Baker, Milns, Bayley, Bailey, Evers, Shropshire.
Sewell, Prestidge, Northamptonshire.
Simpson, Mitchell, Edmondson, Slater, Abbott, West Riding Yorkshire.
Zelley, Eggleton, White, Lovell, Purchase, Dorset.
Neech, Suffolk, Norfolk.
Singleton, Surrey,
Eggleton, Buckingham/Surrey

Offline xtonaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 November 06 19:33 GMT (UK) »
You're very welcome  :)
census records are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Harrison; Iddon; Jolly; Laithwaite; Livesey; Pilkington; Robinson; Shorrock ; Smith - Lancashire;  Boden; Morgan ;   - Shropshire/Montgomeryshire; Cragg ; Shepherd - Westmorland