Author Topic: Aspenden Ry Tavern  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
Aspenden Ry Tavern
« on: Wednesday 23 August 06 02:49 BST (UK) »
I have recently received the marriage certificate for a daughter of my 3xGt Grandparents - Elizabeth Sealey.
Her husband was Benjamin Ballard (sometimes shown as Ballad) and they were married in West Ham in 1854 when Benjamin was a Railway Guard.
In the 1881 census they have moved up in the world as Benjamin is an Innkeeper. Their place of residence is Aspenden Ry Tavern - Aspenden.
Two of their children were born in Cambridge, the next three in Buntingford.
Would anyone knows if this building still stands today ? Anymore information gleaned would be most welcome....
With thanks.........

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Aspenden Ry Tavern
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Emmeline

Looking at the original 1881 census document, I think that "Ry" may well be an abreviation for "Railway," so you may be looking for information about the Railway Tavern, Aspenden.

A quick google reveals nothing, but hopefully an Aspenden local will be able to help.

Rick :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rick. I was going to send it as Road but thought no - that might well mean Railway !
As you say I need someone who lives near Aspenden ::)
Kind regards.......

Offline JLo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 August 06 12:57 BST (UK) »
I know Aspenden very vaguely and was racking my brains trying to think of a pub near to the railway, to no avail, but seemed to remember a 'Railway Inn' in Buntingford (which would be the nearest station to Aspenden)  A quick look at the Kelly's Directory in 1890 showed Benjamin Ballard in Buntingford and listed as

'Ballard Benjamin, Railway Inn, coal merchant and fly proprietor, carman & contractor, Station'

So it looks like he was a very busy man!

Anyway there is a picture of the Railway Inn as it looks now at this link:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/216438

I believe (although I may well be way out of date) that it is now a chinese restaurant!

The railway itself is no longer in use, having closed in 1964.

Also had another look at the Kelly's directories on http://www.historicaldirectories.org

There are lots of references to Benjamin Ballard at the Railway Inn and found Elizabeth Ballard still running the Railway Inn in 1914.  Definitely worth a look  :)

Happy Hunting!
Julie
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Marshall, Beeson (Herts)
Lo(e)wenthal,Kavanagh, Maxam (London, Birmingham)
Harrisson, Matthews (London, Essex)
Poulton, Philbrick (Essex)
Guest, Timmins (Staffs)
Raynes/Ryall (Ireland, Birmingham)
White (Bucks)
Gunn (Scotland, Lancs, Essex)
Ison (Tamworth, Birmingham, USA, Canada)

Offline wamwig

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 August 06 13:35 BST (UK) »
I'd go along with that Julie, the railway station in Buntingford is/was on Aspenden Road so that looks like the right location.

Anthony
Hertfordshire: Parker, Lovick, Smith, Slade, Chapman, Winters, Webb, George, Mapleton, Craft, Tottingham
London: Slade, Maloney, Oldfield
Norfolk: Lovick, Woor, Thurston, Twiddy, Osborn, Crisp
Suffolk: Lovick
Northants: Smith, West, Marriott
Cork: Maloney
Yorkshire: Oldfield

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 August 06 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Julie - Very many thanks indeed for all you have told me.  I am thrilled.

I had Googled and come up with a picture of the Aspenden  Railway Station but got no further.

Have copied the picture of the Railway Inn and now have some idea of where family events took place.

I see that Benjamin died in 1909 - age 80. He was shown as an Innkeeper/Farmer in the 1901 census so was certainly a man of many parts !

A kind Rootschatter found Elizabeth's mother for me - living alongside the Ballards and from this I was able to find the old lady's death certificate. I would never have thought of looking under Royston until then.

Thank you again Julie. Living in NZ it is more than helpful to have someone like you - do appreciate your time and trouble...........

Hi Anthony - thanks for your confirmation. It's lovely to have such helpful Rootschatters.....

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 September 06 10:47 BST (UK) »
Just as a point of note, I am pretty sure Royston was the registration district for Buntingford/Aspenden.
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 September 06 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi benzon - Thanks for that. My geographical knowledge is growing by the day.......