Author Topic: what would you fill in for occupation?  (Read 6770 times)

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
what would you fill in for occupation?
« on: Friday 25 August 06 12:11 BST (UK) »
OK so I am feeling nose.
I have been scanning all the message boards...what car do you drive,how do you speak etc etc.
Just wondered what we all got up-to job wise?
I spend my days looking after other peoples teeth as I am a Dental Hygienist ;D
I have to be thorough and pinickity about cleaning other peoples teeth,patient and tenacious at times.....stands me in good stead for tracing the family tree....nothing can be rushed.
Keep smiling :P
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: what would you fill in for occupation?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 August 06 12:12 BST (UK) »
The word should read nosy....not nose!!!!! I have not got some weird fettish for feeling other peoples facial parts...honest!!! ::)
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline redspookhunter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 August 06 12:28 BST (UK) »
;D well am am a caretaker for the local primary school,its right opposit my house and i get five weeks holiday in the summer (with pay) and all the other holidays the kids have too!! ;D
i actually realy like my job! although resuscitating goldfish 5 minutes to 12 on new years eve wasn't so cool! :( ;D
.<br />COTHER bedminster glos <br />WADLEY bedminster glos<br />SMITH bridgewater somerset <br />STAFFORD wexford ireland<br />

ALSO MARRIED TO KOJAK !!!!

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 August 06 12:38 BST (UK) »
My job description says that I am an "Admin Assistant" but it's a lot more interesting than that!  I work with one other colleague and a team of volunteers running a Lifeskills Centre.  We have groups, mostly of children aged 10 and 11 who come to learn about keeping themselves safe by experiencing risk. 

We have two former industrial units which are set out like a series of stage or film sets and represent a farm, visit to the beach, a railway crossing or rooms in a home and the students, in groups of about 5, go to each set in turn with their guide and learn safety in an interactive way. 

There are about six permanent centres around the country in places such as Bristol, Bournemouth and Milton Keynes and ours in Cornwall, as well as numerous temporary events which are held usually in the summer.

We also have groups of students, the elderly, youth groups such as Guides, Scouts, Young Farmers etc.

It's a very varied and interesting job, if underpaid!  At this time of year (school hols) there is an opportunity to look at RC in an extended lunch break!

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 August 06 12:59 BST (UK) »
redspookhunter...dare I ask why you were resusitating goldfish new years eve?....I had to give mouth to mouth and heart massage to my pet hamster once :P
Sounds like a great job especially the holidays ::)

Ellie Bob....I love the idea of the lifeskill centre.....especially the mock railway crossings etc.I have never heard of anything like this in australia.

Offline redspookhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 August 06 13:12 BST (UK) »
har! har!
i wasn't literally resusitaing them! ;D
but the pumps had stopped working and they couldn't breath so had to clean out pumps,get them going again,it was pretty sad realy as one of the fish was in a bad way i put the now working pumps back in and the 'ok' fish went up to the 'in a bad way' fish and kissed it!! no lie i have never seen that befor but sadly the fish died :'( the surviving one is still ok though :)
.<br />COTHER bedminster glos <br />WADLEY bedminster glos<br />SMITH bridgewater somerset <br />STAFFORD wexford ireland<br />

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 August 06 13:29 BST (UK) »
aah...sounds like the scene from Titanic where Rose and Jack are on the floating door and ...Jack doesn't make it... :'( :'( :'(only joking...they say that goldfish are very intelligent...are you sure the ok fish was not licking the bad way  fish to see if he was edible ???Joking apart ( sorry but I am getting tired and a bit mischievous close to bed time... ;).)at leasst you did your best to help him...sniff sniff :'(My hamster actually came back to life!
Dawn

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 August 06 13:34 BST (UK) »
I'm an Administrator (boring) but I work for the High Weald AONB Unit.  That is one of the loveliest Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in the country. (Or I think so anyway!)

We don't do countryside management, more a strategic body and we deal with the councils and other bodies that are in the area.  We do a lot of promotion, and education.

I hate the work but I love the area and the team I work with.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline redspookhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 August 06 13:42 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D hhmm i dont think fish have tounges! ;)