Author Topic: picking a tombstone message?  (Read 19783 times)

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
picking a tombstone message?
« on: Friday 25 August 06 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hopefully this is only meant as fun...as I am in no hurry to choose my inscription yet!! ::)
Any ideas what you would have chizzled into the marble?
...." But I hadn't finished..." ;D
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline redspookhunter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: picking a tombstone message?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 August 06 12:47 BST (UK) »
yea!
i would have full name and/or any other names i was known as
correct date of birth and death,age and where it happened
all the places i have lived and worked
spouse and children's names
parents,G parents GG parents etc etc :)
including marriage dates and all page and volume numbers for all above mentioned ;D would be a very big tombstone but at least it would save somone some very time consuming hard work ;D
.<br />COTHER bedminster glos <br />WADLEY bedminster glos<br />SMITH bridgewater somerset <br />STAFFORD wexford ireland<br />

ALSO MARRIED TO KOJAK !!!!

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 August 06 12:52 BST (UK) »
Actually redspookhunter...I would  also love a really busy tombstone,because I would want to leave as much info behind as possible. I have always found myself looking through old grave yards and find myself wishing that more had been said about the people buried there.Like you though I think I would have to end up with something the size of the great wall of china to write it all on!!! ::)
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline Michael72.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Getting back to my Roots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 August 06 21:53 BST (UK) »

Here ya go......you can at least make it look authentic now....have fun.... ;D ;D ;D..

http://www.jjchandler.com/tombstone/download.php

Michael72.

Just a demo:-

My email is not working sorry
GILBY, Lowestoft and Cleethorpes.
COO, Horncastle/Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
MADIN, Sheffield/Cleethorpes.
AYERS, Yorkshire, Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
Clark, Cheltenham, Hull, Cleethorpes.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 August 06 23:39 BST (UK) »
I wish I'd thought of Spike Milligan's - I told you I was ill.

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 August 06 02:24 BST (UK) »
Michael 72....boy was that creepy ;D :-X...but fun in an odd sort of way...freaked my 16 year old a bit,as typically he caught me out playing :D

davier.....Spikes one liner was fantastic...did he actually have this on his when the time came I wonder? ;)

Offline sula_nebouxii

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 August 06 05:13 BST (UK) »
Dawn, Spike Milligan's tombstone does include  "I told you I was ill" but it has been translated into Gaelic.

Sounds like it took a while to get the family to agree and get it approved :)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3742443.stm

Sula
Beattie - Cumberland & Victoria

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 August 06 07:29 BST (UK) »
Sula thank's for the update.
I saw a documentary on his life through the eyes of one of his daughters a while back.What an incredible man....and a very interesting daughter.At the time she was trying to get a lot of his personal things back from his wife who had just sold the family home.It was sad because the daughter and her other siblings had gone to the garage of the house to pick up things that were Spikes,that had seemingly been dumped in the garage.Of course there are always two sides to every story.
Back to the threqd though...and I wonder how many graves across the world will have the "I told you I was ill" ? ;D

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 August 06 07:14 BST (UK) »
Actually redspookhunter...I would  also love a really busy tombstone,because I would want to leave as much info behind as possible. I have always found myself looking through old grave yards and find myself wishing that more had been said about the people buried there.Like you though I think I would have to end up with something the size of the great wall of china to write it all on!!! ::)

Exactly the same......lots and lots of information so future genealogists will know everything about me ;D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand