Author Topic: Help please- to find trial transcripts  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help please- to find trial transcripts
« on: Friday 25 August 06 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have an ancestor who was sentenced to transportation to Australia at the Court of Quarter Sessions Surrey on 4th June,1830.

Can anyone tell me where these records are held, and access details?

I was hoping to be able to obtain a trial transcript and I have a cousin visiting London from Oz next week who may possibly be willing  to do me a favour and go to the place where they are kept and get me a copy.

I wanted to find out where he would have to go etc before I actually ask him for this favour  ::)

Noells

Anderson,Fry,Poad, Fort, -England, Australia
McCulloch - Scotland, Australia
O'Shea, Shea, Egan - Ireland, Australia
Sternberg - Germany

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Help please- to find trial transcripts
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 August 06 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Noells,
I think it might depend where in Surrey this all happened.  Can you give details, name, where etc?  Is the information from transportation details found in Oz?  The trial details could be at the Surrey History Centre in Woking if it was rural Surrey.  Could be at the National Archives or at the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA) if it was Southwark or Lambeth,

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 August 06 05:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
Thanks for your prompt reply.

The information I have from past research includes the fact that he was tried at the Newington Sessons on 7th June 1830 and sent to the hulk York and finally transported on the Clyde on 20 Aug 1830. I assume then that the records would be at the LMA ???

So, from your information, I then found the website for the LMA but have been unable to actually find out from the web site if they hold these records. I did discover that Newington is in Southwark.

Wikipedia tells me that the LMA is at 40 Northampton Road Clerkenwell. Is this correct?

How difficult do you think it would be for my cousin to find these records if I can get him to go to the LMA on my behalf?

Sorry for all these questions.

Noells
Sternberg - Germany

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 August 06 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Noells,
If you can't find reference to the information you need I would contact them directly (there is an email at the bottom of the page) giving them as much information as you can.  There is a search facility on that page, did you try it?  If they have the records they will give you all the information you need for your friend to get the information for you, the staff are very helpful!
There is a 'how to get there' on the page, I would print it out for your friend, it also has a map & is easy to find (I think I used Farringdon St. Tube station when I went)
Failing that maybe the National Archives at Kew has them.  Just repeat the enguiry process with them.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/family-research/

jane

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 August 06 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Yes, I tried the search facility, but I am not sure if I am using it correctly.

I took your advice and have just emailed them, but on the site they say that they reply to about 80% within 14 days. unfortunately my cousin did not let me know he would be in London next week until a couple of days ago, so I may miss the boat.

However, it has been a good learning curve for me and I will keep my fingers crossed that I may get a reply from them within the next couple of days. At least I will find out where the records are held for future reference.

I now think I should also check with Kew just in case.

I can only contact my cousin via email which will depend on how often he checks ::)

thanks again
Noells
Sternberg - Germany

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 August 06 10:14 BST (UK) »
I've searched the LMA site using, 'Surrey quarter sessions' & I'm not getting anything  :(
The Surrey History Centre at Woking holds the Quarter Sessions, but I'm thinking , this is all going to depend on where the crime was committed, as there's more than one place he could have been tried & it doesn't say anything about Newington Quarter Sessions  ???

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/Quarter+Sessions+and+Assize+records?opendocument

It might also be at the National Archives  ??? Although I can't find anything on their search engine.  Very confusing.

As time is of the essence, why not contact the East Surrey Family History Group to ask their advice?

http://www.eastsurreyfhs.org.uk/

jane

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 August 06 10:38 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Southwark Local Studies Library is a possibility ???

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/DiscoverSouthwark/LocalStudiesLibrary/

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 August 06 11:00 BST (UK) »
thank you for your suggestions.

I have a tale of woe - I have just purchased a new computer with a lot more grunt than my very old one, and have been really looking forward to continuing my internet searching.

To my dismay, I have had no end of trouble with the modem. I won't bore you with details. Today the technician says he has fixed the problems, and tonight is the first time this week when I am hopefully going to be able to stay online for more than a few minutes at a time. ( I am on dial-up)

I have not been able to check out the web sites you recommended and if my cousin has emailed me it has gone into the ether :'(

I am sure some of our ancestors sometimes just do not want us to find them. Rest assured I will now explore the avenues you have recommended - too late for this cousin, but who knows who else will be visiting England in the future.

fingers crossed that my new modem functions correctly ::)

Noells
Sternberg - Germany

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 August 06 11:03 BST (UK) »
Don't give up.  :D  Good luck,

jane