Author Topic: Wills, Inventories on ScotlandsPeople  (Read 8193 times)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wills, Inventories on ScotlandsPeople
« on: Friday 25 August 06 16:21 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the right place for this posting. If not, could the moderator place in the proper area. Thanks.

I am thinking of ordering a couple of wills / inventories I recently saw on the ScotlandsPeople site.

I am interested in hearing about experiences or comments ( good, bad or indifferent) people have had in ordering or purchasing information and if the information is of value, complete, etc.

yn9man 

Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline jessden

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wills, Inventories on ScotlandsPeople
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 August 06 11:59 BST (UK) »
The information supplied can be very useful indeed.  I obtained copies of these documents for an ancestor who was a millwright in Berwickshire.  The Inventory of his estate included a list of people who owed him money for work done  and this in turn enabled me to establish the area in which he worked.  The copy of Confirmation of Executry (equivalent of Probate or Letters of Administration in England) looked a bit daunting at first but introduced into the story some people that I did not know about and helped solve  a mystery in my family history.

If your ancestor left a will and his executors went through the formal procedure of getting Confirmation,  I would recommend buying copies.  I only wish that some more of my ancestors had done this!

Jessden

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 August 06 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have downloaded the images of 2 wills from Scotland's People and in both cases found them to be quite enlightening.  They have provided me with more details about previously unknown family members and provided information about the persons themselves.  A lot of what is in them is the required legal jargon which can go on for quite a while, but I quite enjoy reading them.

Good luck with them if you decide to get them.

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 September 06 00:04 BST (UK) »
I downloaded a relative's Will and Inventory.
He was a farmer and lived just outside a very small village called Carsphairn. By the time every one of his creditors and debtors had been named I had almost the entire population of the village and a fairly clear idea of everyone's occupation, social standing and address.

If you re in luck you could find a 'gem' like that or a two page listing of his house contents and which child gets what.
Another will gave a lovely picture of the father's opinion of his daughters. He set clearly what they were to inherit. His sons were given short shrift since they had rather squandered advances he had made them during his life!
Some you win, some you lose. If you're still undecided try tossing a coin!

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 September 06 00:17 BST (UK) »
I've had three of Russell's little gems. They gave very interesting family information as well as property transfers and inventories.

I'd say that for a fiver a piece it was worth the gamble.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Malmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 September 06 00:33 BST (UK) »
How did you know that a will existed in the first place. That's what I would like to know.
M
Fife, Dundee

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 September 06 00:39 BST (UK) »
You search the index on Scotlands People for free. It should tell you what kind of will/inventory it is if there is one - gives name and place.

For example, I've just brought up a will and inventory that I already have. It shows the Date, Name, Occupation, Type and Court.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Malmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 September 06 00:54 BST (UK) »
Stone me Gadget, that was quick. I thought it was only me that sat up this late on a Friday. My excuse is that the pub's stay open longer here and I don't have to get up in the morning.
Thanks
M
Fife, Dundee

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 September 06 01:02 BST (UK) »
Well I hope your going to get in there and have a look for free now  :)

I nearly alway stay up late. Can't sleep for long - I stop breathing - honest - Russell knows what it's called I think - scare the living daylights out of people, I do. Not me though, I'm just not there  ::)

Gadget