Author Topic: Wills, Inventories on ScotlandsPeople  (Read 8195 times)

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wills, Inventories on ScotlandsPeople
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 September 06 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Sleep Apnoeia  is the title  I don't have it but tend to sleep my essential 4 hours then must be doing something, anything to keep the neurones active.
Its a good habit Malmo.  Allows you to have direct,(rather than delayed) contact with the Antipodean branches. Meet lots of nice folk.

Hope you enjoyed the Emerald Isle Gadget?

Well! I've had my break. Must get back to table plans/order of service/ photographers/kilts/buttonholes. And this is just a simple wedding!!!!

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 September 06 10:34 BST (UK) »

It also means that Russell and I get to have interesting philosophical discussions at strange times  :)

Will I live Russell  ???

Hope you had a good break Russell.

Noticed that your will was for Casphairn. I'd be really interested in those names - might give me some leads.

PM me later if your willing to share  ;)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Malmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 September 06 11:27 BST (UK) »
I can’t see anything good about four hours sleep Russell. When I sleep I am to all intent and purposes, dead.
I’ll have a bash on Scotland’s people today. I haven’t used it for ages and don’t even remember my log in name or password.
M
Fife, Dundee

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 September 06 03:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's true, I can vouch for this, I have 6 hours time difference and have come across both Gadget and Russell at some very strange times  ;D

Also agree that Wills are a bit hit or miss but on the whole, well worth the money. I found a really good one the other week which confirmed what I 'knew' was a certain 'connection' but just couldn't prove.  The cost for three out of four ordinary ones is definitely well spent for the fantastic one!

Does anyone know the cost of a dairy cow in the late 1890's? Trying to work out if my 2G's could have started a very small dairy herd on the small amount of money they inherited .....

Lindsay
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 September 06 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think there was a bit of an economic depression then.

I know the price of that ggg grandfather's  farm implements and livestock fetched in the 1860s but that's not much good. It was a post-will farm sale.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 November 06 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all who commented on the benefits of ordering wills / inventories from the ScotlandsPeople website. Mush appreciated.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 November 06 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi yn9man

Your last post had me giggling into my coffee.

Mush appreciated
  ???

I began to wonder if LindsaySiam, Gadget and myself were losing the plot and it showed or if it was a simple slip of the finger ???

I opted for the latter explanation but it gave me a good laugh too.  ;D

Just to add to our earlier comments. The will I mentioned gave me a clue to some bits of information I already had gathered and since then has led to me making contact with a relative in Australia  :)

If its a Will not just an Inventory and is more than 3 pages it is certainly a worthwhile bet (even if not a 'safe' one)
It takes about three pages for the Writers to fit in all the incomprhensible legal jargon before they get to the real facts.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 November 06 17:02 GMT (UK) »
What I liked about your Will/inventory, Russell, was the whole list of names - wow was he owed some  :o
I also saw that poor old Robert Gordon was signing - I have quite a few of his signatures on mine as well AND he signed the release papers for my james when he went to jail  :)

Mush mush  ;D

Gadget

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 November 06 17:31 GMT (UK) »
runner -

Lets see I have several responses .... you can choose whichever you like ....

the joys of spell check .... Yes it does check for words  :)  :)

yesterdays dental work  (no solid food for awhile) 

my spelling abilities and

my poor eyesite   

Will (no pun intended) try to do better in the future

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen