Author Topic: PIKE Family at Poole  (Read 14670 times)

Offline janetmp

• RootsChat Member
  • this is my pic
    • View Profile
Re: PIKE Family at Poole
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 December 06 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

While you are in Dorset try to visit the area around Blandford Forum and Shapwick.

The churches a re beautiful.

Jan
wagg,merchant,drake,pike,wellings,latham,
shropshire,somerset,dorset,hampshire,warwickshire,gloucestershire,worcestershire,
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www. national  archives.gov.uk

Offline Stu Pike

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 December 06 18:04 GMT (UK) »
David-
I assume you are going to spend a day or two in London...
The Society of Genealogists http://www.sog.org.uk/index.shtml
seems like a must do?

Stu Pike

Hi Jan (and anybody else with a Pike family interest).

Meanwhile, I'm beginning to make plans for my visit to Dorset in July.  I've never been to Dorset before, so I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations... for instance, are there any things that would be a "must see" for somebody interested in Pike family history?
Pike, Pyke, McPike, Peake
DNA

Offline dapike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 January 08 21:37 GMT (UK) »
This is an update to what I previously knew about the family of Thomas PIKE, mariner of Poole, whose will is dated 1703.

According to a short article in the 26 Dec 1931 issue of "Notes and Queries", Thomas and his wife Susannah were parents of William PIKE who lived at Portsmouth, Hampshire.  William left a will dated 1774 and proved in 1777.  William's two daughters married into the BONHAM and CARTER families, subsequent generations of which adopted the "BONHAM CARTER" name.  In his will, William names his children and grandchildren, but also identifies his niece Susannah LEE (daughter of his late brother John PIKE) and his nephew Timothy PIKE (gentleman, and son of his late brother John PIKE) as well as his late brother Thomas PIKE.  There is also a reference to William's sister Mary LAMBERT, a daughter of whom is apparently married to a HART.

While William resided in Portsmouth and baptised his daughters there at the High Street Presbyterian Chapel, I don't yet know where any of William's siblings lived.

- David.
Some of my surname interests in the UK: 
  HOBBS and LINTERN (in Ditcheat, Somerset)
  PREST / PRICE / PRIEST (in Cranborne, Dorset)
  PIKE (in Poole, Dorset as well as Portsmouth, Hampshire)

I am a volunteer administrator for the Pike/Pyke DNA Project...
https://www.math.mun.ca/~dapike/family_history/pike/DNA

Offline Deborah100

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 July 09 11:55 BST (UK) »
I was interested to find your links on the Pikes of Poole.  I believe our line goes as follows:

Thomas Pike - (1680-?)
Thomas Pike (i) - (1700-1741) Poole Dorset = Elizabeth ?
John Pike (ii) (1728-1773) Poole, Dorset = Olive (John had a brother, Thomas)
John Pike (iii) (1754-1817), Poole, Dorset = Ann
Ann Pike (1787-?) Poole Dorset, = Robert Ayles (1786-?) (Ann has 2 sisters, Elizabeth & Susannah)
I'm descended from Robert and Ann, 6 generations later and live in England.

I have not seen any original documentation myself, but have relied on this website and GenesReunited.co.uk amongst others.  The wording is confusing regarding some of the wills, but is taken directly from other sites.

Notes:

(i) On 29 March 1741, Thomas Pike of Poole, left a will in which the following are noted: son John Pike, who inherits land in Hampreston and Longham. Wife Elizabeth Pike, who inherits the dwelling house "in which I now live" in Poole "near the church". Grandson Thomas Pike (whose father Thomas Pike is deceased), who is not yet 14 years old. Daughter Elizabeth Pike, who inherits lands by the name of "Regent" in the parish of Lytchett Minster, which Thomas (the one writing the will) purchased from William Cheeseman, whose son Cornelius Cheeseman now occupies the land.  Daughters Margaret Pike and Ann Pike, who inherit land in Lytchett Minster, Lytchett Matravers, and Sturminster Marshall.  Daughter-in-law Elizabeth Pike, widow, who inherits land that she now occupies on West Street in Poole. Daughters Mary Durell (widow) and Susannah (wife of Young Green) are also named. Daughters Elizabeth Pike, Margaret Pike, and Ann Pike are unmarried, and not yet 21 years of age Thomas' will was proved at London in 1741.

[NB, Thomas' son Thomas must be older than appears on the tree.  It has been assumed that he was born in about 1730, however, if his father died in 1741 and Thomas 2 has already had a son aged 14, the dates don't tally!]

(ii) On 22 December 1773, John Pike, merchant of Poole, left a will in which the following are noted: "natural son" John Pike, who inheritance includes land in Newfoundland, John Green, merchant of Poole, Edward Pike, mariner of Poole Thomas Hyde, merchant of Poole wife Olive Pike niece Mary (the wife of Thomas Casley) Thomas Calvert Strickland, nephew of wife Olive Pike, servant Ann Sangford, nephew Thomas Pike, sister Susanna Green, sister Ann Pitt, late sister Mary Durell.  John wrote a codicil on 21 March 1774, in which he notes that his wife Olive is since deceased.

(iii) In his will written in London 1804, John Pike, sailmaker of Poole, left a will in which the following are noted: wife Ann Pike, daughters Susannah Tite Pike,  Ann Pike and Elizabeth Osborne (wife of William Osborne of Poole, master mariner), who inherit real estate in/near Thames Street in Poole The will was proved at London in 1817, at which time it is noted that John's daughter Ann was then the wife of Robert Ayles.

[N.B. 2, the Ayles family also went to Newfoundland & married into the Packs of Carbonear].

I'd love to see some original documents, to confirm if the above is accurate.

- Deborah

Offline dapike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 July 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Deborah.

It sounds like you're quoting what I typed up and put onto my website two years ago, after I paid a visit to the archives in Dorchester and took notes from several Pike wills.  You'll find that I've since put some additional information online too, although there is still much that is yet to be determined.

I'll be in Dorset again in a few weeks and will hopefully learn a bit more about some of our Pike ancestors.

- David.

PS:  my website is at www.math.mun.ca/~dapike/family_history

Offline lizzy56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I have a Edward Pike married to  Dinah Wilder on the 2nd May 1805, they married in London.
Im trying to find where Edward was born and noticed the West Counties seem to pop up.
This is a shot in the dark so to speak but you never know.
Angie.
Roots, Parris, Dodge Chalk Hitchcock

Offline dapike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Angie.

Do you know if Edward lived long enough to get enumerated in the 1841, 1851, etc censuses?  I can try to look him up for you if you think I might find him.  Locating him in 1851 would be wonderful, as his parish of birth should be included in that census.

- David.

Offline lizzy56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi David.
Sadly no Edward died in 1840, Edward is my GGG Grandad his daughter Sarah Pike married a Charles Hitchcock a Alfred Hitchcock connection.

Angie
Roots, Parris, Dodge Chalk Hitchcock

Offline dapike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
Okay then.  The little we seem to have to go on then is that Edward and Dinah's marriage took place in the parish of St James Garlickhithe.  The marriage record simply describes Edward as being "of this parish" and "bachelor".  There is no mention of Edward's age or parents.

The death index at FreeBMD lists an Edward Pike whose death was registered in Q2 of 1840 in the Strand district.

- David.