Author Topic: Memento of the Past  (Read 905 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Memento of the Past
« on: Sunday 27 August 06 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have always been rather envious of people who have parents/grandparents who kept "everything" only to have these special items discovered many years later (usually by the family historian)

I didn't think it would happen in my family - BUT....

In the mail on Friday I received the original birthday postcard sent from my grandfather to his mother (my great grandmother). It's dated 4 March 1918.

My elderly Aunt/2nd Cousin?? had found this and another one when doing a "clean up" - I have fingers crossed for when she next does a "clean up"  ;D

Do others have this type of Memento of the Past?

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Memento of the Past
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 August 06 13:29 BST (UK) »
Lady Di...what a great find ,and no I have not been handed anything that was saved and passed down through the generations. :'(
My sister in law does have a big box full of beautiful cards that her Grandad sent to her Grandma during WW1.
How are you going to display the card? :-\
Dawn
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 August 06 15:43 BST (UK) »
What a beautiful card and very stylised and of its time.

I have a pile of love letters written by grandmother to my grandfather during their engagement.  I treasure them. :)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 August 06 16:16 BST (UK) »
These cards are beautiful aren't they? Great find for you Di

My Dad has an album full of cards similar to these which belonged to my grandmother. I have managed to see it once many years ago but never since. It is now packed away in safe keeping more's the pity.

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 August 06 16:21 BST (UK) »
They're really lovely aren't they - and so many are lost and gone forever. I wonder if any of our descendants will keep our little bits and pieces or even the odd e-mail from us  ???

I had quite a few notes and doc in a family bible. They are very precious.

Some of the images of them are now on my website.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 August 06 16:47 BST (UK) »
When I was 10 I started collecting postcards, mostly cheap holiday type ones but my dad bought me some old ones from an antique shop.  One had been sent from a woman on holiday in Pevensey Bay about 1910 back home to London.  It was really interesting reading about what she had done and the holiday she was having.

I shall have to dig it out because maybe now is the time to investigate who she was.

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 August 06 19:50 BST (UK) »
I don't have any greeting cards, but last summer, not too long before my mom's cousin died, he sent her a box with pictures and some family things. In it were two funeral cards, one was for their gggrandmother, who died in 1880 in Staffordshire, and the other was for her daughter, who died in 1875 at the age of 15, also in Staffordshire. I was shaking as I held them. I have them, along with many others I have since collected (my mother is forever opening drawers and boxes and finding "little" things: the most recent, the funeral card for her great-grandmother, who died in 1888) in a small photo album. they are wonderful genealogical sources and treasures to have.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA