Author Topic: CLEOBURY / OSWELL of Broseley / Astley Abbott  (Read 15055 times)

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
CLEOBURY / OSWELL of Broseley / Astley Abbott
« on: Wednesday 03 November 04 18:19 GMT (UK) »
I have a Thomas CLEOBURY  born 1818 in Broseley, the son of (indeciperable but looks like) Sharden(???) and Harriet CLEOBURY.  He married Mary OSWELL in Astley Abbotts in 1842 and had lots of children (Ann 1842, Mary 1844, Thomas 1846, Amelia 1847, Harriet 1850, Emma 1851, William 1861 - and others, probably).  In the 1851 Census they are living in Broseley.  Thomas was a potter / mould maker and his father a miner, while quite a lot of the other family members were involved in the iron/china clay industry.  Does this tie in with anyone's research?
Anglesey & Denbigh: Hughes,Davies
Berks: Cheeseman,Monger,Hussey
Cornwall: Treloar/Trelowath
Devon: Hamlyn
Essex: Stace, Hummerstone, Dixon
Flint: Hooson
Herts: Woodcock
Kent: Jones, Bayley
Merioneth: Disley
Montgomery: Disley
Salop: Cleobury, Hotchkiss, Glover, Oswell
Suffolk: Howe,Spark,Gridley
Surrey:Street,Knight,Street
Yorks:Rich,Goodlad,Hargreaves
Wilts: Pike,House,Downe,Eyres,Cole,Appleford, Westhall,Cheesmund
London:Dixon,Steel,Planck,Debrauder,Hamlyn
Ireland:Sullivan, Egan

Offline tiktok

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: CLEOBURY / OSWELL of Broseley / Astley Abbott
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 November 04 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was interested to read your message, I live in the little village of Broseley, Shropshire. The library here is tiny and doesn't house any cencus returns but if thee is anything else I can do, collect photos or search the local cemetries or supply any other info then I'd be glad to help. Brosely is a strange little village to say the least. There is a broseley.net web site and we also have a history society which yoy can access through brosley.net I'd say a good half of the people here have lived here for generations. Have you ever visited? We  have the clay pipe museum sited on the old clay pipe works and two miles away is the famous Ironbridge. Let me know if I can help in any way,

Michelle
Spencer, Naylor, Reynolds, Dunn, cresswell, smallman

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 November 04 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response and for the advice about the web site and the history society.  No, I haven't been to Broseley but am hoping to visit next month on my way up to North Wales, combining that with a trip to Wentnor, where I have discovered other ancestors.  I am also hoping to see Astley Abbots, where Thomas Cleobury and his bride were living when he was married in 1842.  Thank you so much for the offer help, too.  I was wondering whether there were any Cleoburys mentioned in the church - e.g., in the graveyard or perhaps on the war memorial, so if you see anything that might be relevant I'd be grateful to learn of it.  I'm looking forward to seeing the place for myself.  All best, Emma

Offline tiktok

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 December 04 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma, no luck with Cleobury as yet but I have come across a later grave in Broseley of Archibald George Oswell 1940  and his wife Edith Oswell. Will continue to search for Cleobury, will call in at Astley Abotts when I get chance, it's on my way to and from work.....but I'm far too chicken to do it as it's dark by the time I come home. I'm sure I'll find a sapre hour one of the weekend to check it out for you....either that or my hubby can come and hold the torch just incase any ghostly Abbotts are about! It's a beautiful little place in the , we often go in the summer when you can go to the lavender field and pick-your-own, fesh home made honey too!

Will see if I can go in the morning and check it out

Michelle
Spencer, Naylor, Reynolds, Dunn, cresswell, smallman

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 December 04 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  I've just had a very good few days in Shropshire and, though I found no Oswells, I did find Thomas Cleobury!  His grave is on the left as you walk towards Broseley Parish Church - not far from the church porch, in fact.  Very thrilled to find him.  I popped into Astley Abbotts, too, but could find no one there.  Thanks for looking out for me.  Best wishes for a Happy Christmas, Emma

Offline Debradora

• RootsChat Extra
  • It never rains but it pours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 December 04 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just joined here and saw that you were looking up Oswells.
we have a Richard Oswell who according to census records of 1881, 1891 and 1901 was born in Albrighton Shropshire around 1845 .
He moved to Cadishead Lancs and was a baker.
At the moment I can't find any records of him before 1871.
Any link do you think?
Oswell , Hackney,Burgess, Hulme, Clarke,Fox, Gannon, Hines, Doorbar ,Morrey, Timperley,
Wright,Littlewood,Braithwaite,   based Cheshire and Shropshire areas mainly Stockport

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 January 05 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this.  I'm not sure there's a link, however, because I don't know what happened to the Oswells in the second half of the 19th century.  I have a Mary Oswell (b. 1823), the daughter of John Oswell, who married Thomas Cleobury in 1842 in Astley Abbotts church.  They lived for most of their lives in Broseley.  Her residence is given as Astley Abbotts at the time of the wedding and her father's occupation looks like 'waterman'.  Do let me know if your subsequent researches indicate a link with between your Richard and my Mary.  Best wishes, Emma

Offline gailml

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 March 05 00:52 GMT (UK) »
I have a number of Oswell relatives I've been able to trace back to the 1700s and I wonder if they might be related to Mary whose father is John Oswell.  My sister and I have been researching off (out of frustration!)  and on for a number of years and quite a few Oswells (also often spelled Oswald) that we know are linked to us have resided in the Broseley area.  I wonder if John Oswell born Feb. 2, 1795 at Broseley St. Leonard, Shropshire (brother to our great, great, great grandfather Joseph Oswell born Mar.7, 1798) is the one you are looking for? Their grandparents were barge owners who transported goods throughout the canal system so it would make sense that the census would list him as waterman. 

Offline obstar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 11:59 GMT (UK) »
I have a Thomas Cleobury born 1846 who would have been my great great grandfather. I believe he was a mould maker and married Ann who was born around 1847. Does anyone have any confirmation that Thomas was the son of Thomas (Snr) and Mary Oswell who were married in 1842, and can you provide any other details please ?